We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing question & beach + preschoolers question

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Buffalo
Level Contributor
49 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing question & beach + preschoolers question

Hi! We are looking at a vacation rental near the canal and Salt Pond. Are you allowed to fish in the canal and/or Salt Pond? My husband hopes to be able to walk somewhere to fish.

Also, we are used to vacationing in the Outer Banks and we're thinking about trying Bethany this year. Is this a good beach for young kids? The waves in Kitty Hawk can get so strong and the little ones were unable to go in the water some days. I know that it changes daily, but, in general, do you think four-year-olds would be able to wade w/o getting knocked over?

Also, if you have any suggestions of neat things to do with two four-year-olds and a one-year-old in the Bethany area, I'd love to hear about them! Thanks!

Edited: 11:47 am, January 22, 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing question & beach + preschoolers question

Unfortunately, there are no fish to speak of in Salt Pond or the Assawoman Canal. At least, no sport fish that worth fishing for. There are some man made ponds around the golf course that may have small bass, blue gill, and crappie, but you would technically need a freshwater fishing license and I am not sure if the Salt Pond would let you fish there.

There is decent fishing available off the rockpiles / jetties at the Indian River Inlet (rockfish, bluesfish, and trout can be caught in season) and surf fishing is an option.

The waves at Bethany can be strong as it an ocean beach. You may want to consider Lewes as an option as it is on the Delaware Bay and has no waves if that is a concern.

Bethany is a quiet town and very family friendly. For the age of your kids, it would be worthwhile to drive tot the Rehoboth boardwalk and go to FunLand Amusements.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing question & beach + preschoolers question

Also consider a trip to Assateague (about half an hour beyond Ocean City, MD). The kids would probably get a kick out of seeing the wild ponies, and there's a nice little Visitor Center as well.

3. Re: Fishing question & beach + preschoolers question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, May 02, 2013