We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Visits

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
156 posts
289 reviews
Save Topic
College Visits

I am looking for a central place to travel to and from colleges. My son would like to visit Univ of Penn, NYU, Cornell, Yale, MIT, Harvard, Olan, and Columbia. Seems like New Haven may be a good central location. We plan to do two full weeks. I thought we'd get a rental car and catch trains as recommended. Does this make sense, or does someone have a better solution?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College Visits

I don't know what your dollars are---but I would consider flying out to Penn. This trip is a long distance . Great for a leisure family trip driving from Connecticut......not so great otherwise.

Yale is easy to handle--you can take a train here and get around town and from here you could head into New York for NYU.

MIT , Harvard and Columbia will need to be a separate leg of the journey .

I'd start by beginning to check flights and rates...as you may be able to get a vacation rate from Tucson to say HERSEY Pennslyvania --which is a big time vacation place....from there rent a car and go to PITT---check into flights to New York to do NYU--take a train to New Haven for YALE and then you could drive to the Boston area or take the train.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College Visits

Sorry-I ran out of time....

Hersey , Penn. should have a lot of packages------which would include the air as well.

Drive from here to Penn. University.........

Now at this point you'd need to decide New York City---probably by flying from Penn.........or you may want to drive some more and get to CORNELL . Ithaca in New York is considered UPSTATE and is not in the same area at all as is New York City.--so whether you do New York City first and then drive on to Ithaca or vis-a-versa you will need to check out the maps.

Mit , Cambridge are in the Boston area...you can take a train in ---but you will still need to rent a car at the train station

I think the "central " idea may need to be expanded somewhat...because you need to get the Penns...and Ithaca area done first.....and then use New Haven for the Boston , Yale cycle.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College Visits

Want to trav - I think you're confusing U Penn (Philadelphia) with Penn State (Collegetown) - the OP wants to do Phil, NYC, Hew Haven, Boston, Ithaca.

Bobkat- The first 4 areas are accessible by train, but for Cornell you'd need to rent a car. I would price out flying into Phil and out of Boston (or the other way around) and compare that with a round trip to Hartford (BDL) or Providence (PVD). As long as you're going to be passing through, you might want to look at the Providence schools.

Once you know your airports, you can figure out the rest.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College Visits

I really like to spend a night in the town where the college is to get a better feel and I'd probably fly to NY for a couple nights, train to Phil. for a night, back to NY to rent a car to drive to Cornell then the Boston area schools. Finally a stop in New Haven before heading back to NY. You can check airfares for NY, Hartford and Boston too.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
156 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College Visits

Thank you all for the advice. Flight prices were best going into NY and flying out of Boston, so went ahead and booked the flights for end of the month. Now to figure out how to see all the colleges in the most logical and economical order. I'd like to only use public transporation, if possible, but will get rental car, if necessary.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: College Visits

Cars in this area are pretty cheap and they are allowed tri-state which is new York , Connecticut and New Jersey..........up to the Fairfield COunty area.

From New Haven some rentals may include Mass...as its another regularly traveled path.

Maps won't lie--Penn. colleges are in a very mountainous area...not easy for travel.....

Ithaca is in upstate New York.

New Haven is the closest to the Boston area and you can get there in many fashions including Grey Hound bus if you'd like.

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College Visits

Get into New York and see NYU and Columbia. Take Amtrak to Phil. to see UPenn. You can do a day trip or stay over. Get back to NY and head for Cornell, You can rent a car in the city but if you don't want to drive in the city consider taking Metro North train to Beacon NY. Reserve a car with Enterprise and have them pick you up at the train station. Reverse back to NYC. Take Metro North to New Haven. Short cab ride from station to Yale. Then take Amtrak to Boston. You can visit Harvard and MIT on the T (subway). The T will also get you close to Olin then a short cab ride or rent a car downtown.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: College Visits

I think I would take the train to New Haven after Phil/NY and see Yale then rent a car to Ithica, I know it's not central but it is easier to get in and out of than NYC but taking the train north is an idea. Then return car to New Haven and take train to Boston. The best trip would be if you could do a OW car rental and pick up in New Haven or NYC and drop off in Boston. See if the OW rental fee is any more expensive than train tickets. You seem to have the time to explore a bit so do some research and see if there is anyplace else you want to visit along the way. Not sure if he is interested in Dartmouth but it is not too far out of the way.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: College Visits

I generally agree with brookerme. I do not think New Haven is a great central location because there really is no middle to your trip. I also think you do not want to be burdened with a rental car in urban areas you are not familiar with and where it would likely just be garaged. In my opinion, you should make NYC and Boston the two hubs of your visit and probably plan on two or more nights in both, with NYC being more central. Penn is easily accessible via Amtrak from NYC. Yale is easily accessible via Metro North from NYC, or via Amtrak which also takes you to Boston (from NY or New Haven). The outlier is Cornell, which is not readily accessible from any of the other places you are visiting. NYC might be the easiest option though. Check out the Campus-to-Campus Express option. You will need to see if it is available for campus visits. You can also take the train to Newark and apparently fly to Ithaca from Newark. Otherwise, you probably have to go to Syracuse by train or air. A rental car is also an option from NYC.

…cornell.edu/industry/…travel.html

Good luck on your travels and campus visits.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: College Visits

PS: A couple more notes on travel and travel time. Amtrak from NY to Boston is about 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours. The air shuttles between Boston and NY may seem much faster, but not so much when time getting to/from and security are be factored in. I live and work in NY and usually travel by train now (usually the Acela) rather than the shuttles when going to Boston or DC. Travel by train between NY and Philadelphia is definitely fastest and best. Also, I think brookerme's point about staying overnight at least one night in each place where you visit a school is a very good one.