We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocating to new haven

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
relocating to new haven

i am presently living in philadelphia who commutes to new york city a few times a month. i have to move my apartment is infested with mice. one of the towns i thought of moving to is new haven since it has a good train service to new york. i looked at a couple of one bedroom apartments which looked nice such as trumbull enterprises 37 trumbull new haven the bulding looks very nice i don't know about the apartments the rent seems reasonable one bedrooms begin at 950 a month any opinions on this or any recommendations on other apartments would be appreciated. thanks p.s. i am a senior citizen retired.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocating to new haven

New Haven to New York is doable on Metro North, but it's still about 90 min - 2 hours each way. You may want to consider something a little closer.

All the towns between Greenwich and New Haven have good service to NYC. There are definitely areas of New Haven you'd want to avoid - I'm not familiar enough with it to comment on those specific units.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relocating to new haven

Its funny, in all the years Ive been using tripadvisor it never occured to me to check out my own state.

if youre only going to the city a few times a month then New haven would not be "un do-able" but yes plan on about 2 hours each way. Im not sure what your budget is but Bridgeport has good train service with frequent trains. Most towns south of Bridgeport are very expensive.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relocating to new haven

Bridgeport is definitely closer and more affordable, but there are MANY neighborhoods you'd need to avoid.

I'm a huge fan of Fairfield (but yes, more expensive); Stamford is a good little city, but even more expensive; Stratford and Milford are good, more affordable options, but not that much closer than New Haven.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relocating to new haven

Stamford is really expensive, I grew up there and most of my friends' parents moved away when they retired. They went to Milford & Branford if they stayed in the state. Like someone else said, that's not much closer to the city than New Haven.

Bridgeport borders on Fairfield, so if you're careful, it would be possible to find a decent neighborhood there. Also, you might consider Norwalk. It's a little closer in to the city than Bridgeport or New Haven, and rents are better there than in Stamford.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relocating to new haven

I think Bridgeport has some new "eco-friendly" condos in a good area, also Black Rock is nice.

I live in Norwalk and there is a waiting list for parking garages for both stations. You CAN live within walking distance to the station in South Norwalk which has more frequent train service than East Norwalk, but I personally dont like walking around that area myself.

6. Re: relocating to new haven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 17, 2009