We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Mystic advice - is Mystic walkable and from which hotel

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Need Mystic advice - is Mystic walkable and from which hotel

Hi ,

I'm planning a trip to New England, and Mystic is one of our stops. We (hubby, 11-year old daughter and I) would like to take Amtrak from Boston and wait on renting a car until we are ready to leave Mystic. I'd like to find out if this is possible. It looks like the Whaler's Inn is very close to the Amtrak station, but they are booked because of our third person (they only allow children in certain rooms apparently, and those are all booked for one of our two nights). Other hotels I'm looking at are the Hampton Inn or Hyatt Place. Do either of there hotels make walking (to town and to the Seaport) possible? Are there any other options?

Many Thanks!

Liz

conn
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Mystic advice - is Mystic walkable and from which hotel

its a long walk from the train station to the hotels you mention but it can be done (over a mile) you might want to look into some other transporation if you have a lot of bags.

Enfield, Connecticut
Level Contributor
175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Mystic advice - is Mystic walkable and from which hotel

You can try The Inn at Mystic, not too far from town, not sure about Amtrak. This is high season though.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Mystic advice - is Mystic walkable and from which hotel

If you don't stay at the Whaler's Inn or The Inne at Mystic, then you'd probably want to get a cab from the station to your hotel.

Have you looked at Mystic on Google Maps? If you pull Mystic up and then use the 'search nearby' function to have it mark hotels for you, you can see where everything is.

When we go to Mystic we go downtown to all the little shops & restaurants near the drawbridge and to the Seaport. I think there are a couple of places to stay there including the Steamboat Inn.

Up past the Seaport is the Aquarium and Mystic Village shopping center. Most of the big hotels are up there. Again, if you look at Google Maps you can see which ones are on the other side of the highway from the Aquarium & Village. The Hampton Inn is up that way. It's about a half mile from the Aquarium, a mile from the Seaport, and then the drawbridge and downtown Mystic are further beyond than that.

Stamford CT
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Mystic advice - is Mystic walkable and from which hotel

Not sure about the "Whalers Inn" but the Inn at Mystic is almost directly across from the Amtrak station. It does have a 2 night minimum for "couples" and have some family accomodations but they are few and far between, especially during the high season which exists now through at least when the leaves are all of the trees.

You said that you wanted to wait until you depart to get a rental car. That may be a problem. Last I remember there wasn't a lot of rental car locations in Mystic, if at all.

You mentioned you are planning a trip TO New England so I assume Boston is an airport destination? Unless your intention is to ride the Acela, which by the way does not stop in Mystic, consider renting a car at Logan or Manchester/Boston International, whichever you are flying into. This would give you a LOT more sightseeing options like Olde Mystic, Foxwoods (your daughter would like the museum) Mohegan Sun and the Outlet Malls at Westbrook and Clinton. If your intention is to eventually go into Manhattan, you could park along the rails line at a place like Stamford and catch Metro North into Grand Central. Weekend hotel rates in Stamford are a third of what they are in NYC. Hope this helps a bit in your planning. Feel free to ask away if you have any questions.

5. Re: Need Mystic advice - is Mystic walkable and from which hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 02, 2011