We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Boston from UK first night hotel not Boston

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Mystic hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Boston from UK first night hotel not Boston

Hi

We arrive at Logan about 3pm on a Mon 12 th Oct which I know is after a holiday , and I wanted some advice please about where to stay our first night.

We plan to visit Salem, perhaps then drive up to New Hampshire before heading down to Connecticut by our third night.

We have limited time so have decided to leave Boston till next time, and are hiring a car at the airport.

I have been looking for somewhere to stay that is not too far from the airport but handy for our first port of call which will be Salem. I have looked at Peabody as we really need a suitehotel as there are three of us Mum dad 24 year old son and the Homewood suites there have good reviews and are reasonably priced.

Does that seem like a good plan? will the traffic be horrendous following the holiday and all though I can google to find the route and distance it really dosent tell me anything about what kind of journey it will be in terms of traffic and ease of drive there.

We will be tired I think after a long haul and a early start from the UK and I want to ease us gently.

Any advice appreciated if you know the area.

Thanks

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Boston from UK first night hotel not Boston

With all due respect, may I suggest reposting this in the Boston section where you'll most likely receive lots of knowledgeable and helpful responses to your query? Have an enjoyable stay here in "New" England!

conn
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Boston from UK first night hotel not Boston

mystic is south east of boston salem is northeast I would not stay in mysic your first night.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Boston from UK first night hotel not Boston

Sorry posted on the wrong forum DOH! Thanks for the replys I would not have realised otherwise and query is where it should have been in Boston.

But while I am here will it be too much in one day to do the essex steam train and boat in the morning then Mystic seaport in the afternoon / evening?

Especially if we did the scenic route from Caanan down to New Milford on route? , we will be lodging in Hartford/ Windsor Locks area.

My husband always accuses me of tying to do too much in one day but its just that we never have enough time!

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving Boston from UK first night hotel not Boston

Peabody is a good choice to visit Salem.

Canaan/New Milford is in the opposite corner of the state from Mystic- can't do both in one day. First Essex/Steam train is 11am http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/schedule.html, finish 1:30, lunch?, 40 min. to Mystic. Pretty tight. I suggest http://www.pequotmuseum.org/ then Mystic. (hit the Seaport gift shop)

With Essex, walk down Main St to the river then head for www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp… After that visit the shore in Old Saybrook or Madison

i'd try to visit http://www.mohawktrail.com/ too.

5. Re: Arriving Boston from UK first night hotel not Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mystic