We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking train from New York City airport to Madison

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Norman, Oklahoma
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taking train from New York City airport to Madison

Hello, I would really appreciate some advice. When I visit my son in Madison he usually picks me up in Hartford but this year I'm flying into New York City, I don't want him to hassle with the drive so I'm trying to figure out how to take the train. Can someone please help. Ty for your time

4 replies to this topic
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking train from New York City airport to Madison

From Grand Central (someone else hopefully can guide you to Grand Central), take Metro North to New Haven (end of the route so have your son pick you up here)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking train from New York City airport to Madison

Yes, Metro North to New Haven is the best option. I would ask in the NYC forum about transit to Grand Central from the airport. I would probably take a cab but they may have a better suggestion.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking train from New York City airport to Madison

You can get a taxi or private car to Grand central Station.

You can also take a subway / train.

When you say arriving in New York City--that really means Kennedy .,Lagradia , White Plains..none of which are actually in the New York City --though they are listed as being so....

www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=101

www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=78

viator.com/New-York-City-tours/…

Depending on which airport you arrive at --will determine which transport to the actual city at grand Central Station would be best for you.

Edited: 3:06 pm, June 29, 2013
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking train from New York City airport to Madison

You will probably spend more time commuting from the airport to Madison than on your trip to NYC and hopefully you will arrive early in the day... you will need to take the subway to Grand Central or Penn Station to pick up the train into Union Station in New Haven CT and transfer on Shoreline East to Madison. It may be easier to take the CTLimo.com airport shuttle, which also stops at Union Station and take the train to Madison from there or have your son pick you up in New Haven which is less than a 3rd of the distance to when hes picked you up in Hartford.... taking the train from the airport will make for a very long day!

Reply to: Taking train from New York City airport to Madison
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted