We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south central CT-- comparison of towns

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Longmeadow, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
south central CT-- comparison of towns

Hello,

Can anyone comment on comparing Guilford, CT to Madison, CT and Clinton, CT vs. a place to relocate to? We're even considering the CT/RI border.

We're a family of 3 (3 1/2 y.o. daughter) who are looking for a nice, charming town to live in that offers a nice community, good school system, and perhaps a bit of land/privacy (1+ acres or much more). Is Clinton, CT very commercialized or is there much in the way of a village? Can anyone compare prices, taxes, etc. of these areas and what you can get for your $ when it comes to home buying?

Thanks.

connecticut
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: south central CT-- comparison of towns

Hi, I can't really comment on what the towns are like. I've only driven through Madison and Clinton. If I had to choose just based on that, Madison is lovely. I think it's very charming. As far as taxes and what you can get for your money.... taxes are outrageous, and a dollar doesn't go all that far! I live in Fairfield County and you could get a 3-4 bedroom house, 2 baths 2500-3000 sq. ft. for about $500K and taxes are about $5-6K. I'm not sure what Mass. is like, but for me..... OUCH! The more acreage you are looking for, obviously the more money you will have to spend. Like I said, I'm not that familiar with those areas, but where I am, usually the houses are on a very small piece of land, unless they are older homes.

Best of luck to you!

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
926 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south central CT-- comparison of towns

I'm a Guilford native so I'm biased but Guilford had the foresight to avoid having Route One fun through the exact center of town, hence the beautiful Guilford Green. You probably can't go wrong with the schools in any of the 3. Clinton may be a litte less expensive. Anything near the water will be very expensive so you might look in the northern part of any of the shorline towns. Think about where you'll be working because commuting on I-95 at rush hour is no fun.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south central CT-- comparison of towns

Hi - I grew up in Branford and now live in Guilford with my husband and 3 girls. We have lived here for 17 years. We moved out of Branford because it was becoming too commercial and Guilford still had it's small town feel. We love the schools, the recreation center has great programs, the beaches in the area are wonderful. Guilford and Madison are very similar in size and look and feel. Guilford and Madison have town green's and quaint shops in the center. Clinton is a little more spread out. They also have the outlet shopping. Great restaurants in all three towns.

Madison is slightly more expensive housing-wise but Guilford is getting up there too. Clinton would be the least expensive of the three. Housing prices all over Connecticut are ridiculous.

This area has great proximity to New York and Boston - easy by train or car. New Haven has become a great place to go to the theater, museums and out to dinner and only 20-30 minutes. I would say any of the three towns would be a safe bet. I am partial to Guilford and cannot say enough about the school system. Good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Madison
More Madison Topics