We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Litchfield Jazz Festival

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Litchfield Jazz Festival

Has anyone been to the Litchfield Jazz Festival in past years? What can you tell me about your experience? litchfieldjazzfest.com/jazzfest_tickets.htm is the site for the 2008 fest. I've looked it over and would definitely consider travelling from Ohio to hear legends like Dave Brubeck and Paquito D’Rivera again as well as Bebe Neuwirth and John Pizzarelli.

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

The Litchfield Jazz Festival is such a great experience -- the music is always top notch, the sound is stellar (the sound engineer really knows what he's doing), and the vibe is fantastic. There is a nice variety of food (the sushi is surprisingly good) and really talented jazz artists -- photographers, painters and such.

There is a diverse crowd too -- really serious listeners tend to sit under the main stage tent, and more laid back fans bring lawn chairs and their families and sit on the grass. A highlight for me is always hearing the students from Litchfield Jazz Camp play on the second stage. The fest is run by a non-profit that supports kids in need to go to the camp, so it’s a nice feeling. I read on the website that this year some graduates of the camp will play on the main stage - so I look forward to that. It's a beautiful part of the state and there is nice hotel that offers a jazz fest discount where there is an after party.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

We're not big jazz fans - but it's in our back yard and we've been a few times. Everything the above poster says is accurate. We have friends who are huge jazz fans and they volunteer at the Festival every year so they get to see and hear for free. It's quite expensive. They stay at our house and we get to hear all the tales.

We saw Brubeck a few years ago - it poured rain but is was alot of fun - even soaking wet!

It's a great experience.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

Though we had to adjust our vacation dates to visit our CT friends, we did get an opportunity to enjoy some music. Last Thursday evening we went to the green in Ivoryton to hear the Shiny Lapels Trio (local group...from Deep River, I think) -- classics from the 30s-50s. We'll get to the Litchfield Jazz Festival some other year and will meanwhile look forward to more helpful comments.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

Hoping to hear a report from anyone who travels to the Litchfield Jazz Festival this weekend.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

The following is some info for those of us who missed travelling to the Litchfield Jazz Festival in 2008.

What: A live taping from the Litchfield Jazz Festival! John Dankosky, News Director for WNPR, interviews jazz legend Dave Brubeck and Cuban saxophonist Paquito D'Rivera.

Where: Live on WNPR’s “Where We Live” – Connecticut’s Local News Talk Show 90.5 FM Hartford/New Haven * 89.1 FM Norwich/New London * 88.5 FM Stamford/Greenwich * 91.3 FM Southampton, NY * 99.5 FM Storrs

When: Thursday August 21st from 8 - 9 p.m. on WNPR and WNPR.org

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

This morning a wonderful interview with Dave Brubeck and Paquito D'Rivera (both NEA Jazz Masters who performed at the Litchfield Jazz Festival) aired on Connecticut Public Radio's "Where We Live." WNPR's news director and host of the show, John Dankosky interviewed Brubeck and D'Rivera live at the festival on Saturday afternoon, August 2nd.

You can hear the interview and some music from their performances here: cpbn.org/program/where-we-live/episode/dave-…

Enjoy!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

Thanks, BurlingtonBride, for the link. I missed the morning broadcast and was grateful to be able to listen at my convenience rather than worrying about catching it at 8 this evening.

8. Re: Litchfield Jazz Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Litchfield
More Litchfield Topics