We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Hartford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perry Hall, Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to stop in Connecticut on Friday July 19 and stay overnight.. We are visiting Maine from July 15 thru 18 and figured it would be nice to visit Connecticut on our way back to Baltimore. We didn't want to make the 9 hour or so drive from Maine on the last day of our vacation. Can ayone recommend a nice place to visit? We considered maybe Mystic Seaport.

Thanks, Steve

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

It depends on what you like to do/see. Mystic Seaport area is a nice "touristy" area on the water with pretty water views... It may be a good option since I assume that you will be driving all day and have only a few hours to spend before getting back on the road in the morning. You'd see some of the coast line that way.

Downtown New Haven, Yale area is fun to see for the history aspect. It has interesting architecture and is very pretty. New Haven also has great restaurants and is easy to walk around. It is famous for the battle between Pepe's http://www.pepespizzeria.com/?page=history or Sally's http://sallysapizza.com/ pizza.

How long will you have? What is your goal to see? We also have woodsy areas too.

Perry Hall, Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

We probably would arrive around early afternoon. That would give us probably 7 or 8 hours of daylight. What I was thinking is that we would drive somewhere between 3 to 5 hours south of Ogunquit, Me. I wasn't really iinterested in New York or Mass. Thought Connecticut. sounded good. We like all kinds of sightseeing but with not too much walking. Just not real familier with what Connecticut has to offer.

Thanks again, Stephen

New Haven
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

I agree with the earlier post, if you like restaurants, museums and clubs (that cater to people in their 20s) New Haven is the best city in the state - but stay downtown at either the Omni or the New Haven Hotel. The pizza on Worcester Street is the best in the country - almost every listing of the US' "best pizzerias" will include Pepe's (yes) or Sally's (if you want to get mistreated by the staff). Plus you can go back home and tell everyone you found the best pizza somewhere most people don't visit.

The best state beach is Hammonassett in Madison, but it gets crowded around the pavilions on weekends. There are spots between them, though, that are not. Don't go to the New Haven beach. If you have kids Rocky Neck is farther along and has more shallow water. The surf in CT is not strong, thanks to Long Island.

Not a fan of Mystic Aquarium. There are several small wineries that give tours (Gouveia off I-91 in Wallingford is a nice visit). You can hike Sleeping Giant in Hamden, Wadsworth Falls in Middletown (small city, great food) or a bunch of places in NW CT, including the Appalachian Trail.

Stay away from Bridgeport and Hartford. If you must go, the Beardsley Zoo in B'port is excellent for kids and the Mark Twain House in Hartford is good for adults. But leave town after your visit to either.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

Look......................

mystic.org/browse/…ocean-beach-park

http://www.mystic.org/browse/where-to-stay

Edited: 11:47 pm, July 06, 2013
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

www.visitrhodeisland.com/what-to-do/beaches/

6. Re: Where to stop over for a night in Connecticut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 08, 2014