We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to the Hartford area

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Bristow, VA
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to the Hartford area

My husband may be getting a promotion and relocation to Hartford. We currently live in northern Virginia. We have two kids, 6 and 4, and are looking for a suburban area with good schools, nice homes, etc. His office will be in downtown Hartford. Any suggestions on where to live without going broke?! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

biddingforhotel, that's very nice to hear!

Always nice to hear the postitive.....

Naomi :-)

Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

Yes, and all of us can always create posting things. e.g. this lady working at the hotel were very surprised and touched when she realized the tip was not $1 bill. In my mind, gas price surge, many hardworking low income people have too much worry of their life, and $20 is nothing to most tourists, why not give them a break and honor their hard working?

Last night we were having dinner at I-Hop and the waitress was so nice and telling us she is going to be college student and her couson use to live at Waterbury CT, then New London CT and Hartford CT ...etc. She went out of her way to provide us lots of stories in all these town when she visited there...etc. I also gave her $20 tip. Not only she provided us a wonderful dinner, but also shared with us many tips that we can use right away on this weekend's trip. e.g. We will sure to visit Waterbury Chuck E Cheese and another one at New London that's a kid must.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2872-Mid_point…

Mentioned in this post
New London
New London
Connecticut
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

CT..has a LOT to offer! In Downtown Hartford we have Bushnell Park ( The first public park in America) WITH a carousel that you can ride for 50 cents and we have a nice area along the riverfront where people can go for a stroll, jog or sunbathe. We have the Oldest museum in the states, The Wadworth and we have really nice Convention Center. We have a lot of GREAT restaurants, The Hartford Stage, The Old State House, Butler-Mc Cook (Hartford's oldest remaining house, built in 1782 )Theather Works, Elizabeth Park (the oldest rose garden in the US). Mark Twain's House, Harriett Beecher's, Noah Webster (W. Hartford) Mystic Seaport (Mystic) and DON'T forget...4 times OSCAR winner Katharine Hepburn was born in Hartford and is buried here. I went to her family's plot and her mother, father and two brothers are buried there with Kate. Park Street (the hispanic section) is FILLED with lots of stores and GREAT restaurants. COME and enjoy..New England's RISING STAR*

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Bushnell Park
Bushnell Park
176 Reviews
Hartford, CT
Hartford Stage
Hartford Stage
210 Reviews
Hartford, CT
Elizabeth Park
Elizabeth Park
335 Reviews
West Hartford, CT
Mystic Seaport Museum
Mystic Seaport Museum
2,721 Reviews
Mystic, CT
Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

Thanks danct. I came across the new Star Shuttle Downtown Hartford info. Have you rided it? how is it like? Is it parking near the Star loop shuttle ?

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

Also, according to the weather report, it is going to go up to 95 degree, is there any water park in Hartford area that you would recommend, or just any place good for the hot weather?

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

I have riden in the shuttle bus (it's a small bus) very comfortable. It drops you off in a lot of importance points in Hartford and it's FREE. The shuttle takes off from the convention center so they have a garage there. Parking on the streets are many which is on the route of the shuttle bus. For a water park....all I can suggest is Lake Compounce in Bristol which is 20 minutes away from Hartford right off I-84 (you will see signs for it). Or great adventures in Agawan, MA which is 35 minutes away from Hartford.

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Lake Compounce
Lake Compounce
689 Reviews
Bristol, CT
Edison, NJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

Great! Thanks a lot!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Moving to the Hartford area

I grew up outside of Hartfoprd and actually lived inside the city limits after graduating from college. The person who tries to make the city sound like a utopia is crazy. The city (again, not the region) is one of the poorest cities in the country, has one of the lowest home ownership rates, highest teen pregnancy rates. If you live in the city, you car insurance doubles.

In 5 days in May they had 16 people shot. On a Sunday night (I was in West Hartford playing golf that Monday) two people were murdered in Hartford. Hartford is a dump, the suburbs are nice, if bland.

I would vote for Simsbury or maybe Suffield.

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut