We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Connecticut

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Gettysburg...
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to Connecticut

I know there has been some discussion on this topic in the past, but I have not seen anything recent. I am 25 and just got a Job offer in Newington Ct. I currently live in Gettysburg Pa and spent some time in Philly. Can't say I like Philly but that is another topic. Coming from Gettysburg I am a little concerned about the cost difference, I have done some research but would like the opinion of real people from CT. What are the best areas for someone in my age range to live? Also I am very active what are some things this area has to offer?

Thanks to any who reply.

The Mark Twain House & Museum
Historic Sites, History Museums
Elizabeth Park
Gardens, Jogging Paths & Tracks, Parks
Connecticut State Capitol
Architectural Buildings, Government Buildings
Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
944 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Newington or West Hartford would be good choices to live, There's nightlife in downtown Hartford and West Hartford center. Skiing in Southington, biking highaltitude2u.com/connecticut-cycling-clubs…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
363 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Newington is definitely going to be cheaper than West Hartford. However, your night life is going to be in West Hartford or Hartford area. Nothing is too far for travel in CT so you can ski at Mohawk or go to Vermont. Skiing in Southington is limited. There are some lovely state parks for hiking and picnics and swimming. As far as Newington itself, it is smaller than the Hartfords. Most businesses are found on the Berlin Turnpike. There is a Target and Walmart as well as fast food establishments. The West Farms Mall is nearby. Stop & Shop is the major food market. There isn't all that much in the center of Newington itself. There is a decent library and a Starbucks and Carvel plus a CVS and Rite-Aid drug store.

I would get a copy of the Hartford Courant, newpaper, and also contact the chamber of commerce to get an idea of living costs. Keep in mind that CT has one of the highest gas taxes and property taxes are also high. I don't know if you are planing on buying a house or renting but again Newington is going to be cheaper than the Hartfords. You will definitely need a car which will also be taxed. There is no public transporation that is reliable enough in this area. Our state sales tax is going up and once exempt items are now going to be taxed. I believe we go to 6. something %soon. There is a college, so there will be people of that age but I believe they split on the weekends. Hope this helps.

3. Re: Moving to Connecticut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Hartford