We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golfing in Hartford Area

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
NYC
2 posts
Save Topic
Golfing in Hartford Area

I want to come up to Hartford to do some golfing. Can anyone recommend a good but relatively inexpensive (I don't want a dump) hotel/motel? And can you recommend 5 or 6 really excellent public courses within a 40-mile radius of Hartford?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
961 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golfing in Hartford Area

I'd suggest Courtyard by Marriott in Farmington. Its fairly new, near Westfarms Mall with restaurants nearby and has great highway access.

Golf courses

West hartford: Rockledge

New Britain: Stanley

Bloomfield: Wintonbury Hills, Gillette Ridge

Middlefield: Lyman Orchards

www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm…

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golfing in Hartford Area

What's inexpensive for a hotel? Obviously, you will need a car. Simsbury Inn is a nice hotel, or you can get a place in Hartford if you are looking for a little more nightlife.

I always like Simsbury Farms GC out in West Simsbury (really where I learned to play). Wintonbury Hills is a nice, fair test of golf. Tower Ridge in Simsbury has some wonderful views, but it's really unwalkable and has some rather dumb holes IMO. Used to be private, went public, but worth playing a round

A little more than 40 miles away, but I have heard good things (haven't played it myself) is the course near Foxwoods

http://www.lakeofisles.com/

If you have anyone you know who can get you on some of the private courses, I would recommend Hartford Golf Club, Wampanoag (old Donald Ross designed course), Avon CC is a good track. Hopmeadow in Simsbury, very nice course. The Orchards up in Western MA, not too far, also Donald Ross. The US Women's Open was played there in 2004.

Mentioned in this post
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
3. Re: Golfing in Hartford Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:29 am, November 11, 2009