We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Hartford

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit to Hartford

Hello,

My husband and I are taking a road trip from NJ to Hartford for 4-5 days in a couple of weeks. We booked the Goodwin (despite mixed reviews--got a great deal through hotels.com). During our visit, we plan to see things in Hartford (Bushnell park, Twain house, Ancient burying ground, Farmer's Market, etc). We'll also take a couple of day trips for Gillette castle, Dinosaur park, and canoeing from Windsor locks w/ a company called Long River Rentals.

We're also looking forward to a variety good (not so expensive) food. A few ideas I came up with: First & Last Tavern (good seafood? hubby likes the mixed dishes w/ shrimp, mussels, calamari, etc), Bushnell cafe, Black eyed Sally's, Feng Asian, El Serape, Bin 228, USS Chowderpot, etc. Any good places for cheap breakfast? Anywhere that we can get sandwiches to go for our canoe trip? We try to avoid national chain places while on vacation.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions for our trip. Thanks!

The Mark Twain House & Museum
Historic Sites, History Museums
Elizabeth Park
Gardens, Jogging Paths & Tracks, Parks
Connecticut State Capitol
Architectural Buildings, Government Buildings
NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: First visit to Hartford

I understand...we've had too much Home Depot lately ourselves, which is why we need this trip! We are definitely going to check out Black Eyed Sally's. Thanks again!

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First visit to Hartford

PumpkinSS, just wondering how your trip went. Hope you had a great time! Did anything stand out for you along the way?

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: First visit to Hartford

Out trip was awesome! We loved the Goodwin hotel, and we were very impressed with the Hartford restaurants. We also went to Old Wethersfield and enjoyed a day there as well. I put detailed info in my review of the Goodwin--check it out if you have a sec.

We will definitely be back in Connecticut some time. Thanks for asking :)

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First visit to Hartford

I enjoyed reading your trip report! You sure fit a lot into your trip! I haven't even managed to visit all of the restaurants that you did. Glad you enjoyed yourselves!

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: First visit to Hartford

Yes, we managed to squeeze a lot of things in...we live life from one infrequent vacation to another, so we usually end up not getting much sleep to make the most of it! :) Take care and enjoy your free time!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
156 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First visit to Hartford

Glad that you enjoyed CT. Next time you vist Hartford, checkt out The Mark Twain House and next to it Harriet Beecher Stowe and right on Farmington Avenue, check out Tisane's (coffee house) the best! :)

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: First visit to Hartford

We sure will--we wanted to go to the Mark Twain house but ran out of time on this trip. And my husband always loves a good cup of coffee :)

18. Re: First visit to Hartford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 10, 2009