We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon October 2013

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon October 2013

My fiance and I are going to be traveling the Coastal Highway and coming inward after DePoe Bay. We are hoping to drive through the wine country via McMinnville, Dundee and Newberg on 99 to get to Portland.

What are the best wineries? We don't necessarily have to experience the fanciest, but we want delicious wines and unique wineries--more off the beaten path? If some of the more touristy places are great then we are definitely willing to visit. Our original point of departure is San Fran and we are deliberately skipping Sonoma and Napa in order to experience something different in Oregon.

Do you recommend staying near the wineries for a night or we could we visit in a day on our way to Portland?

11 replies to this topic
Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

The Willamette has numerous wineries that make excellent wines. Not a bad one in the bunch. Without knowing if you prefer whites; reds; sparkling; blush, it's not possible to steer you to specific wineries, so I got these links for you from Google. Happy sipping.

http://willamettewines.com/

http://wvv.com/

http://www.oregonwinecountry.org/

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

I love reds a lot but also enjoy whites. Occasionally I do sparkling. Blush not so much.

thank you for those resources!

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

Staying in the wine country is very nice, we love The Allison Inn & Spa where we have stayed twice. Archery Summit, Domaine Drouhin, Domaine Serene, Sokkol Blossor are a few of our favorites. Domaine Drouhin has expanded their outdoor patio area. :).

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

So many good wineries, but the Ribbon Ridge area NW of Newberg is especially excellent. Pinot noir is king here, but Trisaetum (Riesling) and Brick House (chardonnay, appointment only) also make wonderful whites as I noted. Styring is also good -- a small, rustic mom-n-pop operation. Molly the wine dog is their "PR rep."

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

I agree with the Ribbon Ridge area wineries. My personal favorites there include Tristaeum, Brick House, and Arbor Brook. Another favorite is Seufert, which is in downtown Dayton.

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

Keep in mind that, for the most part, wine and wineries being good, best, excellent, etc, is in the tongue of the taster. What I think might be absolutely over the top might be just mediocre to you. You'll just need to find your bests and favorites.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

Also note that the route you're planning through McMinnville, Dundee, and Newberg is the main road through wine country, so you'll need to get a ways off that to find "off the beaten path" wineries. To answer your last question, a night in wine country might be romantic (and possibly expensive), but you'll have more options for lodging, dining, etc. in Portland, less than an hour away.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

Get a good wine country map to help you find the wineries you want to visit. If you turn on Mineral Springs Road (just before the town of Lafayette) from Highway 99W, you can be on Ribbon Ridge Road in roughly 15 minutes.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

thank you for the wonderful feedback! I think I'm going to do some more digging on the wineries. I was thinking maybe we could just do a day through the wine region and then head to Portland that night.

wine country oregon
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon October 2013

For great info... Visit. www.traveloregon.com..... Click on the link "ask OR". The ambassadors will help you plan with up to date advice...

Edited: 10:47 pm, March 20, 2013
Reply to: Honeymoon October 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Willamette Valley