We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Danbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

We are staying in Danbury for a total of 4 days while we visit the Wolf Conservation Center in South Salem (1 1/2 days planned there) but we have a couple of days that we have no plans. Since we are traveling from California we'd like to make the most of this and would kind of like to have at least one quintessential NY day/evening. We will have a car but aren't crazy about the idea of driving in NY city. Because of the car, we have plenty of flexibility to potentially combine driving with taking trains, but I'd like to know the best *way* to do things. For example, if we wanted to have a "dinner and a show" night in NY, what would be the best way to do that? I've been to NY proper once but didn't do all that much (very food-centric: Levain bakery, Zabars, local restaurants with friends and a couple museums.Pretty simple stuff!) The one touristy thing we did was 30 Rock, which was really fun. My boyfriend hasn't ever been, so I want him to have some sort of NY experience--like I said, Broadway show, or Times Square--something. But again, since we're on a tight schedule but we want it to be easy. What's the best way to do that with the resources we've mentioned? I hope that's enough info!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

Hi there,

The best way to go into NYC is to take a Metro North train to Grand Central. 2 stations you can check for times that are convenient to Danbury are Danbury and Brewster, NY. You can check schedules here:

as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

I am not sure how regular the trains are from Danbury. I just took one from Brewster though last weekend and it was very easy. Another location which would be further of a drive for you but steady easy service would be Stamford. I usually go from Stamford because there are so many time options and a great express train... As long as the schedule works for you though, any station will work... :)

There is a last minute broadway ticket booth in times square where you can buy tickets to a show at a discount. You may want to check into that as well.

I would post in the NYC forums to see if someone can recommend dinner etc. Don't eat in times square.. that is where all cheesy tourist places are. :) We like to take the subway to Little Italy for a good meal and to walk around. There is so much to do in NYC and so many places to explore. It depends on what you like and what you want to see.

My advice would be to make sure you DO have a plan so that when you get there you don't waste time trying to figure out where to eat etc. The NYC forum should be able to help. Its a very easy train ride to NYC from CT.

Have fun!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

I live in Brewster, NY and work in Danbury. Best advice.....drive on RT 84 West into NY State. Get off at exit 19 for Route 312. Follow signs to the SOUTHEAST train station. This train runs directly to Grand Central/NYC frequently! You will have to park in the metered section of the lot (it's on the LEFT at the bottom of the hill as you approach the station). Easy peasy! You can access train schedules for the HARLEM LINE of Metro North at their site

as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

This is wonderful advice, thank you! Is it accurate that it's a two-hour journey into NYC? I thought an express train would be faster...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

Thank you for the overview, I will post in the NYC boards, once I've narrowed it down a bit. I'm a hardcore planner when on a tight schedule, so we'll definitely have an idea of what we want to do. It's difficult to plan out our time when I'm so unfamiliar with the layout and how long it takes to get places. We'll have to decide the one thing we want to do, and plan around that.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
8 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

you will be in times sq in one hour by train. if money is not a problem treat yourself to chef mario battali's restaurant called BABBO on 110 waverly pl 212-777-0303. just a great place. if your looking around time sq and just a fun place for dinner go to JEKYLL AND HYDE at 91 7th ave or a place in between these two is a place called DA ROSINA at 342 w46th st in the theater district.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

Have you done the cruise around the Statue of Liberty...you can even go at night and have dinner on the ship !

newyorkpass.com/En/…

http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/?aid=27

http://www.citypass.com/new-york?

http://www.hornblower.com/port

http://www.nyctourist.com

New York has a lot to offer and to see as well......

Before planning your trip --think about what YOU would really like to do and see as a tourist. A lot of people that live and work around NYC --rarely visit very much as a tourist..

You can make your trip really worthwhile and memorable.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

Gelato !!!

nycgo.com/slideshows/…3

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

Thanks so much for your advice. I was told that the last train to Danbury from Grand Central station is at 10:22PM and got the advice to drive to Norwalk or Stamford if we want the option of staying later in NYC. Does this align with your suggestion?

9. Re: Danbury & NYC: Quick Trip, Making the Most of it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, September 12, 2015