We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Near Danbury

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Danbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Near Danbury

Hi! I am looking to go on a weekend mini vacation within two hours of Danbury, but that is inexpensive. I am looking to spend about 300-500 dollars. Any suggestions?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

There are many possibilities. What do you like to do?

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

Well, I'm up for anything fun. It could be water activities, horseback riding. Just anything that wont cowst me an arm and a leg. Something romantic, sightseeing; honestly anything.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
607 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

I'm bumping this topic because I'm also interested in basically the same thing. Never been to CT before, but driving up from far South Jersey, so don't want to go all the way up to RI.

What's around Danbury? Historic stuff, nerdy museum stuff? Outdoorsy stuff? (I'm thinking mid-springtime.)

@Shensbrown, I did see there is a "Motorcyclepedia" museum less than an hour from Danbury. [Although if you aren't a rider, I'd imagine then it wouldn't hold much interest for you.]

morris, ct
Level Contributor
215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

NW CT ... from Danbury north to the NY/MA border east to Hartford county ... has tons of historical stuff. First law school in the United States ... Tapping Reeve .. is in Litchfield. Too many sites to mention. Covered bridges. A lot of things to see and do. Mid-Spring could be tricky... SNOW!!!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

I live just over the border from Danbury/New Fairfield in NY. Ummm...Danbury is the last place I would think of for a vacation. Sorry. Mostly residential, malls and businesses. A couple of golf courses.

I would STRONGLY suggest you consider what baglab1 posted..... head NORTH of Danbury and make your destination somewhere in the northwest corner of the state. It's beautiful!! Kent, Litchfield, Roxbury, Washington, Washington Depot, etc. Lots of quaint towns, state parks, galleries, restaurants, vistas, etc.

Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

We lived just south of Danbury in Bethel, CT for six years. I agree on this advice regarding going a bit farther north. My suggestion is to travel due north on Route 7 out of Danbury. You will encounter some great little towns with quite a few antique barns, craft stores, farmer's markets along the way. Also there is actually a covered bridge tour also. Suggest contacting AAA CT for guidebook or another CT tourism bureau to get the pamphlet on the covered bridge tour.

We traveled this route many times for a relaxing vacation of 2-3 days and just enjoyed going where the road took us. The towns are really wonderful.

One note on Danbury, check out Stew Leonards on Rt. 7 on the way up. It is a very fun stop! A very large and unique grocery store but with some other cool stuff as well, ie fresh roasted coffee, fresh bakery and ice cream, outdoor grill, great produce, cheese and even a nice hot bar with many different foods.

leonisavaca
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

I agree with the above recommendations head into Litchfield County. Check out the conditions after the hurricane though for closures. I know Kent Falls lost a bridge this past week during the tropical storm... a.k.a. Hurricane Irene. There is a wine trail etc. If that is something that interests you. I am not sure what lodging you will find in that area that is pleasant and will fit your budget but if you look under hotels here that would give you a better idea.

8. Re: Vacation Near Danbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, January 29, 2014