We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best places to stay in winter park?

Tampa
1 post
Save Topic
Where are the best places to stay in winter park?

Where are the best places to stay in winter park? I am planning on going there during spring break next year with my family of 5. I have 3 small children and a wife that have never skied. Also what are some fun activities to keep us busy. I am hoping to keep my vacation affordable, but nice, and fun filled

Chicago northshore
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the best places to stay in winter park?

I don't know if it will fit your budget or your style, but you might want to check out the review that I recently posted on TimberHouse Ski Lodge. You could get two adjoining rooms with a bathroom in between. We did that with our two children (ages 8 and 11 when we were there last year) and we had a room with a double bed for us and our kids were in an adjoining room that had a twin and a double bed. The rates are reduced for kids.

TimberHouse is not super cheap, but the rates include breakfast, "afternoon tea" with fresh baked snacks, and dinner. As I said in the review, it's easier not to have to drag young children to restaurants.

You don't say whether or not your wife and kids are planning to learn to ski. The Winter Park ski school is fantastic, especially for kids! I've seen it called one of the best in the country. They divide the kids up by both ability and age so they are taughr in appropriate groups. My kids learned a lot and had a great time. The first time we took my kids there, they were ages 6 and 9 and had had one beginner lesson and skiied a few days in past years at midwest ski resorts. Their skills progressed a lot with WP lessons. The next time we went, my kids were solid intermediate skiers and they had a blast being taken all over the mountain by the instructors. The ski instructors know just what kind of trails appeal to kids, such as narrow, bumpy trails through the trees (which can be scary for larger adults whose weight makes them pick up speed when they can't slow down by turning because the trail is "single-track" between the trees).

Non-skiing activities as mentioned in other threads include the tubing hill, sleigh rides, and snowcat rides on the Winter Park slopes, none of which I've tried because I only want to ski. But I've seen the snowcat roll by from the window of the SunSpot restaurant up on the middle of the mountain. However, all these non-skiing activities are also going to be somewhat expensive for a whole family.

You might want to be more explicit about your budget to get more appropriate advice. "Affordable" for one person is "too expensive" for another.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the best places to stay in winter park?

If you want a condo, check out vacationsinc.com. There are tons of options available w/ a wide range of prices. That way, you won't have to go out for every meal if you don't want to, and your family will have a little more space.

For non-skiing activities, I'd recommend dog sledding, snow tubing at the tubing hill in fraser, snowshoeing, and relaxing in front of a fire with your family.

Cheshire, UK
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the best places to stay in winter park?

If you like the idea of a condo, you could take this a step further and try the Sawmill Station Townhouses (vacationsinc offer some, and so do VRBO). They are on 3 floors - not sure if this would suit very young children - and the one we stayed in was really well furnished, TVs/DVDs, laundry facilities, garage etc. These town houses are also near a children's play area. The slopes are about 5 minutes away by shuttle bus.

There are other non-skiing activities as previously mentioned, but with the snow so inviting, and with quite a substantial beginner's area at Winter Park, you might find that the family want to do nothing but ski!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the best places to stay in winter park?

Another thought might be the YMCA of the Rockies located just outside Winter Park. LOTS of onsight activities to keep kids or wife occupied if they decided not to ski.

I definitely recommend the Fraser Tubing Hill for hours of entertainment.

5. Re: Where are the best places to stay in winter park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:27 am, August 25, 2009