We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbine lake

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Columbine lake

Looking to do this hike in September, but keep reading about marshy areas. Can someone tell me exactly how marshy/ wet we can expect to get. Will hiking boots suffice or do we need rubber boots?? Thank you for any info.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,034 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbine lake

I would be more concerned about damaging a rental car getting to the trailhead than the marshy areas along the trail. I hope you will be driving a high clearance vehicle. The last time I hiked Columbine Lake was around mid-September and there were no really marshy areas. This can change from year to year depending on the monsoon season in Colorado and the previous winter/spring snowpack, but trails are usually much drier by September.

examiner.com/article/hiking-the-indian-peaks…

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbine lake

We did rent an SUV but now I'm worried. Nowhere did I read about the road conditions getting there. Is it the whole rd or just closer to the trail head?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,034 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbine lake

From the link I gave you in reply #1 - "Directions: From Winter Park, take U.S. 40 northwest toward Tabernash. Turn east on CR83. Follow it just 0.4 miles to a fork. Turn left on CR 84 which turns into FR129. Follow FR 129 for 10.5 miles to the turnoff for the Junco Lake Trailhead. One warning, FR129 is a rough, dirt road. I saw passengers cars at the trailhead, but it's much better to have a high-clearance vehicle for the deep potholes and ruts."

Our experience was the same. There were many ruts and large potholes scattered along Forest Road 129 (not just at the trailhead) which you travel for almost 11 miles to the trailhead, but we had no problems driving the road slowly. It is a scenic drive. Do be aware that rental car contracts generally forbid driving on dirt roads in Colorado.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbine lake

Thanks for your help. Sorry I didn't see the link you had left. We have driven the Denali Hwy several times so we have experience driving bad dirt rds. Slow and steady wins the race.

5. Re: Columbine lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 29, 2014