We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the drive like from Denver Airport to Winter Park?

Ruston, Louisiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What's the drive like from Denver Airport to Winter Park?

We will be traveling to Winter park for Spring Break this year (arriving Apr 3, leaving Apr 6), and I'm wondering how long the drive is to Winter Park from DEN, and what should we expect the roads to be like at this time of year? Also, does anyone know if any of the car rental agencies rent 4-wheel drive cars?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the drive like from Denver Airport to Winter Park?

Any car rental company will rent 4WD or winterized vehicles out of DEN. It's an easy drive. Can't predict weather or road conditions this far out. You do go over Berthoud Pass. It's a great highway but do keep an eye on any late season storms. You should be able to do the drive in 90 minutes to two hours. Do keep in mind that traffic on I-70 in the morning can be really nightmarish going up there, similarly coming back after skiing. Factor that in if you have to catch a flight.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the drive like from Denver Airport to Winter Park?

In perfect conditions, the drive is about an hour and 40 minutes. However, you will most likely hit traffic at some point. This time of year, the roads can be anything from perfectly dry to completely icy and closed (though the roads don't often close, and if they do, it's usually just overnight). Try not to plan on making the drive past sunset to avoid the most ice as possible (you could have a ten-wheel drive vehicle and it won't do you much good on I70's icy hills).

Ruston, Louisiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the drive like from Denver Airport to Winter Park?

Thanks so much for the info. Our flight back is due to leave on a Friday morning around 10:30. So, guess we'll need to make sure leave in plenty of time.

Ruston, Louisiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the drive like from Denver Airport to Winter Park?

Our flight into Denver will arrive around 3:30 or so -- I thought about the timeframe when making flight reservations. Hopefully, by that time of the year, we'll have more daylight to make the drive. Thanks so much for the tips.

5. Re: What's the drive like from Denver Airport to Winter Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, March 02, 2013