We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit, and where after?

Which Winter Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
When to visit, and where after?

Hi!

My husband and I are heading out to Winter Park next year. We were pondering going in early September but were wondering what the weather would be like and if cool things like mountain biking and white water rafting would still be open.

We were thinking of staying for a week and then heading to another place for a week - we'll have a car and are not adverse to long drives (e.g 8-9 hours) - we'd rather drive than fly.

Has anyone got any knowledege of any great places to go near(ish) by? We love the outdoors, hiking, photography, wildlife watching, geology, so anywhere that has a lot of potential for this would be great for us. We also dont mind staying in a cabin or some other self catering type place if it means we are close to the wildlife. The USA is so huge and given that Colorado is so central, it's hard to know where to go, so any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

dcj
texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit, and where after?

I think you would like Yellowstone Park in Wyoming.

Edited: 1:55 pm, November 16, 2010
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit, and where after?

The weather in September can be quite nice & warm, but still bring some warm clothing if you will be out in late evening or in case a cold front comes in because at high altitudes it can snow during that time. It's impossible to say exactly what will happen. This last September, we went for a hike and were wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts! It was warmer than normal.

If you will be hiking and taking lots of photos, I would suggest that late June through mid-July would be the best time to visit. During that time you'll see lots more wildflowers and the scenery is much greener & prettier that time of year.

At high altitudes, by the time mid-August comes around there are far fewer flowers and the scenery starts to look pretty brown.

Of course, in the Fall there are the aspen trees changing colors to gold. But, the "peak" days change every year... sometimes Fall comes earlier or later than normal. Usually, peak colors will be between the 2nd and 3rd weeks of September. The higher the altitude, the earlier they change.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
799 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to visit, and where after?

My family stayed in Winter Park and enjoyed hiking in nearby Rocky Mountain National Park. Check out the attached link to hiking options in and near Winter Park.

vacationsinc.com/guide-to-winter-park/…

4. Re: When to visit, and where after?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, May 28, 2011