We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beginner skiiers in March

Dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
beginner skiiers in March

Hi I was wondering anyone's thoughts on the ski school at Winter Park? How many days do you recommend? I've skiied before green slopes, but hubby, kids-11,9,and 4 have never skiied. Any ways to get discounts on the school? Best area to ski? Thanks

Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: beginner skiiers in March

I recomended you the Sol Vista school, we are from Mexico and my kids (9,9,8 and 5 years old) never been sky and in Sol Vista in 1 day they learn to sky SUPER!!!! they take another day of class (because her father wants to do it) and with this second day, they learn to stay all day in a green lift. My husband and me take one day of class and we learn too very much. We love Sol Vista and we want to back there next December.

Sorry for my english I hope I can help you.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: beginner skiiers in March

I also reccomend Sol Vista for beginners. Winter Park is great and has a good ski school (I learned there years ago), but it's slow beginner area has advanced people like me zipping by and the hill can be intimidating.

I don't know how many total days you're planning to ski, but definately do a full day lesson the first day, and the second day if you confident enough try it on your own or do a half-day lesson. By the third day, you should be able to go on your own at your own pace. You could even do a few days at SolVista and the next day or two at Winter Park. They're pretty close to eachother (30-45 mins).

I've stayed at the hillside condos at SolVista which have a hot tub in each unit (AWESOME) and it was great. I've never skiied SolVista because it really is just for beginners since the hills are flat (well, for an advanced they're flat) and few trees.

The one biggest mistake beginners do is to go up the lift from the bottom, and ski all the way back down to the bottom. You don't have to do that. I'm only at the bottom 2 or 3 times and that's at the start of the morning, maybe lunch and in the evening to go home. You can ski around up higher where it's often less crowded (because all the beginners are down low) and there are plenty of green runs around up higher too. Just look at a map and plan it.

Keystone has a really long green run called Schoolmarm (or Schoolwarm?) that's great for beginners, but it too has advanced people zipping by trying to get to other places.

I would think your older kids would like Winter Park better after a few days too since they may be more risk-taking and could try a blue. You could even stick the kids in school and you and hubby go off alone -- many people do that; daycare for kids basically.