We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you've skied in VT and out West

Which Winter Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
If you've skied in VT and out West

Are the blues and diamonds out west like the blues and diamonds in VT only longer? We are intermediate skiers and can ski most runs at Okemo, Mt Snow, and Stratton in VT. (We don't like moguls) Will we be able to ski everthing except double diamonds in Winterpark? What is it like to ski in powder? We are so use to packed down, icy spots that we are not sure if we can ski in fluff or deep snow.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you've skied in VT and out West

Hello! I skied Klillington almost every snowy weekend when I was in college. The skiing is totally different in fact I have east coast skis and Colorado skis. My East coast equipment however is a little out dated. I use more narrow skis for carving in snow covered ice on the east coast, out here you want the fattys, nice powder skis for floating on the snow. It is sooo much better here, I am better now than then, so that could play a role in my opinion. The runs here tend to be longer than what I remember, however you can look at Winter Park website and see elevations and runs to compare with your VT mountains. You will find after a run or two you are skiing better and that it is easier than east coast skiing. Softer landings too! If you do not own powder skis then rent them out here and bring your boots with you. I am not a big mogul fan either, I will keep my knees thank you very much, there are plenty of long flat powdery runs. My favorite steep, wide, flat runs are at Keystone. Have Fun!

P.S. If you are lucky to have a huge snow storm and ski in real deep powder, it will be so amazing and boy will you get a workout! Consider a lesson in the powder, everyone needs a refresher now and then and plus you can scope out runs with your instructor and jump long lines!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you've skied in VT and out West

I learned to ski on cold, icy, tiny slopes in New England and can't even imagine going back, once you've had the thrill of a long, snowy, groomed run in Colorado! In general, unless you're skiing during a blizzard, the blues and flat blacks are well groomed and are not deep, deep powder at all. It is a different sensation than back east, but something you'll get used to and totally spoiled over! Plus, if you know how to ski on ice, you can certainly handle anything here!

I'm not a powder hound at all because I like to see my skis and see the terrain below them in minute detail. I never have a problem finding that the major CO resorts. I think the best part about skiing here is how long the runs are. I definitely remember spending far more time in the lift line than it took me to ski from the top of the "mountain" down to the very bottom. You'll never want to ski back home after you've skied here!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you've skied in VT and out West

SO true Shaken_Bake!!! Those who have only experienced skiing out west don't know how spoiled they are! I think the above poster is gonna be psyched once they get a day in!

By the way jnl134... I am not positive, but I think if you get a multi day pass you can use it at Copper Mountain too, maybe a day at a different mountain would be fun???

NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you've skied in VT and out West

Thanks for all your replys. We are so excited. We have parabolic skis. We planned on bringing them with us. Maybe I'll look into renting just skis and taking our boots. More room for luggage and less baggage charges. lol. We also planned on a day trip to Breckenridge. The town looks cute and we want to scope it out. I'm hoping my husband loves skiing out west and will want to make it a yearly trip. Can any of you tell me how is Berthond Pass? Is the road really hilly and bendy? Does it close often?

Locals Only
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If you've skied in VT and out West

For good intermediate runs with no moguls, take the Panoramic Lift up the the very top. Beautiful view, long runs, excellent snow, and MUCH less crowded. At Winter Park, half of the mountain is 'Winter Park' and the backside is called 'Mary Jane'. Most of the runs on the Jane side are bumped (aka moguls).

The 'color' (blue/black, whatever) rating of a run doesn't always have anything to do with whether or not it has bumps- several of the blue runs have bumps, and I think pretty much every 'black' run (except the Vasquez Cirque- a long hike through the bowl or the stuff off of the Eagle Wind Lift (if your looking for blues, its not for you).

My advice would be to do the winter park side!

Have fun, I love this mountain!

6. Re: If you've skied in VT and out West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 17, 2009