We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Park VS. Brekenridge

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Park VS. Brekenridge

We have never been to Winter Park and are planning a ski trip for the first week in April. We have been to Brekenridge and would like to know how these 2 resorts compare.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Park VS. Brekenridge

The biggest difference IMHO is that Breckenridge has the authentic town. Winter Park exists as a ski area, and it obviously has all of the shops and restaurants, it lacks that "real town" feel to a certain extent. But the skiing is terrific there, so who cares!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
177 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Park VS. Brekenridge

I have only been to Winter Park but when I was riding the chairlift up to the top (didn't ski - just sightseeing) I was going up with two kids (in their upper twenties)who lived in Denver. They said they've been skiing together for about 4 or 5 years all around Colorado. They said this was their first time in Winter Park and they had to agree it was there favorite overall. When I asked why, they said that Vail and Breckenridge were absolutely huge and really, really touristy and that it just took forever to get up and down the mountain. They said Winter Park was a lot less touristy overall and the slopes were a lot more diverse since they had Winter Park & MaryJane to choose from. They also added that the really tough runs contained much fewer amatuers and they really liked that. I know it's all hearsay but I hope that helps! All I can add to that is that the views were incredible!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Park VS. Brekenridge

I've been to both Winter Park and Breckenridge late season (last week of March). Winter Park is the better choice if you are going late. It's at a higher altitiude, and most - if not all - of the mountain has been open to ski.

Breckenridge at the end of March was like skiing through slush at higher altitudes, and we were waiting in the lift lines with water up to our ankles by mid afternoon.

Winter Park usually has much shorter lift lines. In fact we can frequently ski right into the lift line and only have to wait a chair or two before we get on. That never happens at Breckenridge!

The intermediate/blue runs at Winter Park are more challenging in general than the blue runs at Breckenridge. WP runs tend to be a bit steeper and longer. Most of the Black runs have moguls, or are not groomed everyday at WP.

Winter Park has very little to do if you do not ski. There are a handful of restaurants and bars, but not much else to do. If you are looking for shopping & nightlife Breckenridge would be the better choice.

Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Park VS. Brekenridge

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like Winter Park is definatly for us.

5. Re: Winter Park VS. Brekenridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, September 17, 2009