We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in WP in July

Which Winter Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
What to do in WP in July

My 2 teens and I are accompanying my husband on a business trip to Winter Park in July. What's there to keep kids amused during the summer? I enjoy hiking and mountain biking but I don't think I'd get the kids going too far at that altitude. We'll have 3 or 4 days stay in total.

Thanks

~ jw

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in WP in July

Here is a calendar of events for July:

http://www.playwinterpark.com/events/

If your kids are outdoorsy, they'd enjoy rafing the Colorado River (there are a couple of outfitters in Fraser), maybe rent horses from The Rusty Spurr Ranch - they could even go on a half day cattle drive

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in WP in July

Take the lifts to the top of the ski area and mountain bike down! I think there are some activities like mini golf, bungie jumping etc too. Oh, and there is an alpine slide too.

I keep my soon to be 13 year old busy taking photos and writing journals. We also take guide books to identify animals, birds, flowers and bugs!!

Have fun.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in WP in July

Colorado in July is a perfect time to visit!

Activities to consider:

fishing-several lakes and streams to choose from

biking-from Fraser to WP or down the mountain

rafting-several companies to choose from

sightseeing in Grand Lake-water activities (at their marina maybe?)

drive thru Rocky Mountain National Park-this will take a full day, but you will see all sorts of wildlife...moose, deer, bighorn sheep, snow on the mountain tops.....

YMCA of the Rockies in Granby-visit for a day pass. They have a climbing wall, roller skating rink, indoor pool, lake for canoeing, horses for trail rides, trails to hike or bike, zip lines, putt-putt and probably more I can't think of.

WP ski area-maze, rides to the top of the mountain, bike rentals and a few other activities.

WP in July w/teens is not a problem unless the kids tend to be hard to please. There's plenty to choose from in my opinion.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in WP in July

Great! Thanks for all of these ideas. We're a family where we the parents are way more active & outdoorsy than our kids would like, so we have to find a balance with other activities.

~ jw

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in WP in July

In addition to the outdoor activities, WP also has a summer concert series that you may want to check out.

The Winter Park Jazz fest is the 21st-22nd, the Folk Fest is the 14th & 15th, and there are free concerts throughout the summer. I believe most of the July free concerts are on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in WP in July

Great! My daughter will like that. We'll be there for Crankworx in early July so I'm hoping there will be some live music events!

7. Re: What to do in WP in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 03, 2009