We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vail without skis?

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Vail without skis?

I'm going to be in Denver over Christmas and am going to take a day trip to Vail with some family. Most of us will be skiing, but there will be a few that are just coming along to see what it's all about.

Aside from shopping, what can I advise them to do? Any chance they'll be able to ride a gondola up for some views?

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Keystone, CO
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vail without skis?

Here's a tip that works well for getting on the mountain if you are not skiing but are with a group that is. Plan to meet them at an on the mountain restaurant for lunch. Make reservations and you will be able to ride up the gondola with no problem to meet them. This isn't a trick or anything, it's just a perfect time to meet up with the skiers.

Aside from shopping there's snow shoeing, ice skating, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, sledding, and all kinds of city sponsored events. Too bad you will be there only a day...

Wash. DC
Level Contributor
67 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vail without skis?

There's a ski museum as well at which you can kill some time. You should also just camp out on the deck at Los Amigos toward the end of the day, drink margaritas and people watch. If I'm not mistaken, the Gondola is free for foot traffic after 2:00. So, if you don;t want to do the restaurant reservation thing for lunch, you can still ride for free starting in the early afternoon. (There is a restaurant at the top of the gondola).

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vail without skis?

Ok, those all sound like great ideas. I take it a reservation at the restaurant is essential for the free ride up before 2?

I wish we could be there longer too... but at least I get to make it out this year.

Collingswood, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vail without skis?

Oh, one other question...

My plan is to be up and on the road (from Denver) at 6:30am--figure we'll get there by 8:30. So, any advice on the fastest possible way to get parked (I don't care how much it costs) get skis rented (should I reserve?) buy tickets and get on the mountain?

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vail without skis?

You can't ride the gondola before 2pm without paying for a foot pass - it's best to wait until then if you want to ride.

Park in Vail Village (best access to everything) or Lionshead Village (easiest access to the mountain).

Rent your gear at Vail Sports - locations thorughout town and on the mountain. It is easier and quicker if you rent in advance - www.rentskis.com.

In addition to the other suggestions, you can go to a spa. Aria Spa at the Cascade is a great choice, or Heaven Massage in Lionshead.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
6. Re: Vail without skis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 19, 2009