We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

few qs..going on thanksgiving weekend

austin,texas
6 posts
Save Topic
few qs..going on thanksgiving weekend

hey everyone.

1.we are planning to get the ski lessons in beaver creek and wanted to know if its more economical to get the ski rental and lift tickets as a package or seperate from the lessons?

2.we are renting a car from denver to drive to vail and were thinking to drive from vail to aspen one day.is that a good idea?what are the roads gonna be like?

3.also was confused about what clothes and shoes to buy for november weather?not used to winter extremes livin in texas..

thanks alot

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: few qs..going on thanksgiving weekend

Defintely check the package deals. Often times the Lessons include lift ticket and equipment rental. Unless you have skied before I would go for more than one day of lessons.

I would highly recommend the drive from Vail to Aspen. It is beautiful and gives you a chance to see some of the scenery. It should take you about 2 hours each way. You will be on Hwy 70 and 82, which are main highways and are kept in good condition. However, you would want to check prior to starting out. Storms can deposit enough snow and ice on the road to make it slippery even after being plowed. Pitkin County (Aspen) does not use mag chloride on their roads which means they can be more snow packed or icy than other areas. Sunshine is the best tool we have for removing the snow from the roads. As a rule, it shouldn't be a problem in November, but with mother nature you never know. This website will show road conditions and also has webcams so that you can see what shape the roads are in cotrip.org/rWeather/All_Regions_102306_16462…

Clothing & shoes: Leave the heels at home, you will want something comfortable to walk in. I prefer rubber soles since they don't slide as easily if it does get slippery. The nights will be cold and the days will be cold compared to where you live. If the sun is out it will feel much warmer. Bring things you can layer. Tnecks with a fleece or sweater, that way if the weather gets too warm you can take off a layer. Because it is a dry cold here, you will be surprised at how pleasant it is.

austin,texas
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: few qs..going on thanksgiving weekend

thanku for the info..it was very helpful

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: few qs..going on thanksgiving weekend

mtnlife, thank you for this very helpful info! My husband and I will be in Vail for Thanksgiving also!!!! We are sooo excited!!!

4. Re: few qs..going on thanksgiving weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, August 25, 2009