We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ski town question from east coaster who's never been west

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ski town question from east coaster who's never been west

Traveling with wife and I. Only been to Telluride twice and we LOVE Telluride. We love it for the atmosphere and downtown main street.

My options are flying into Denver or Vail or Salt Lake City (free ticket).

and probably during January which is coldest month....but I ski in Vermont so cold won't bother us.

which resort should we spend 5 nights in?

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ski town question from east coaster who's never been west

If you have a free ticket to Salt Lake, have you considered Park Cities? I love it there.

If you want to come to Colorado, then I would consider flying into Vail and checking out Aspen. Telluride is wonderful and I, like you, love the Main St. But getting there will require a good bit of driving. I would almost think driving from Salt Lake would be easier because you could avoid some of the passes that could get nasty that time of year. You could go from Salt Lake to Grand Junction and then head south.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ski town question from east coaster who's never been west

Telluride is a long ways from any of those airports. If you have the free ticket, you might as well check out Vail. Lodging is more expensive than Park City or other Utah resorts, so use the money you save on flights to enjoy a more expensive resort. Vail has again been ranked number 1 by Ski magazine readers and has enough terrian and nightlife to keep you happy.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ski town question from east coaster who's never been west

You can rest easy - January is not the coldest month here...so, no worries there. Definetly fly into Vail (Eagle) if you have the option. Driving up two hours from Denver in January isn't ideal. I think a great resort to stay at for the two of you would be Vail Mountain Lodge and Spa. Great for couples. Telluride is wonderful, but the best skiing is here in Vail!

4. Re: ski town question from east coaster who's never been west

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 18, 2009