We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To rent a car or use a shuttle service...

Seabrook, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
To rent a car or use a shuttle service...

Looks like parking is a problem in Vail... Headed there for our Texas spring break with two adults and two kids. Staying at the Marriott who charges $30 approx day. Any recommendations on a dependable shuttle service between DEN and Vail.. Looks like I won't be driving much once we get to the hotel....

Also,, looks like lift tickets are only avail thru Vail Resorts.. (I bought Canyons last year thru Costco and saved a bundle).. Any tips on this from locals...

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Texas
Texas
United States
Sonnenalp
Sonnenalp
#1 of 31 hotels in Vail
The Ritz Residences
The Ritz Residences
#3 of 31 hotels in Vail
Hotel Talisa, Vail
Hotel Talisa, Vail
#13 of 31 hotels in Vail
Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: To rent a car or use a shuttle service...

Very cool info, I had no idea there was an Enterprise in Avon. Looks like it's right at the Christy Lodge, very easy to get to.

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: To rent a car or use a shuttle service...

We are in the same boat. Unfortunately the shuttle vans gouge families - but a good deal if you are single or maybe for a couple. The math for us is $400 for a mid size SUV which would accommodate skis or approx $225 each way on the van with disc (kids are 50% off). Throw in parking for 5 nights and the van is a little cheaper. Could get a mid size Car for a bit less but ski racks are $75 and the SUV is better if it snows.

I am still up in the air - May wait to see the weather report. If it looks bad we will go with the van as I don't need the hassle of driving. But if roads are clear the maybe better to have a car which gives us a bit more freedom. Might also try priceline on the SUV to see if we can shave the price.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: To rent a car or use a shuttle service...

Just to follow up - we tried negotiating price at DIA with CME, they were not interested and actually quoted a much higher price than was found on their website. So we said hasta la vista, and ended up paying Avis $343 all-in for an SUV (plus gas) which was far cheaper buying 4 RT tix on a shuttle van. The shuttles work great for couples or solo travelers and maybe for large groups, but not a good business model for average family.

Even during yesterday's storm, I found the roads to be in far better shape then we typically find for I-80 in California and people were driving conservatively. So would not hesitate to rent a car again.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
14. Re: To rent a car or use a shuttle service...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, March 21, 2015