We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Denver to Vail

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling from Denver to Vail

I'm planning a trip in December, arriving on Tuesday the 10th and departing on Saturday the 14th. I'm trying to decide whether to reserve a shared shuttle, or a private car service. I know that the private car service is twice as expensive as the shuttle (appx $980 vs. $450), but I just don't know if it's worth it. Please let me know what you think and whether you have had any experience with either. Thanks!

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

Where are you getting these prices? Colorado Mountain Express was only $92 each way this last winter, door-to-door shared shuttle.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

The prices that I indicated are the total round-trip price for a family of 3

Edited: 1:31 pm, July 02, 2013
Colorado
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

With 3 of you, it would seem would be best to rent a car!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

CME does a great job especially if you are unfamiliar with driving in snowy conditions. I would go with the shared shuttle unless there is a reason you feel the need for a private car.

Westfield, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

I definitely vote for the rental car. If you were coming during Christmas week, the car prices are crazy expensive. However, since you're earlier in December, the rental prices should be reasonable. We always rent (family of 5). The only gotcha is that based on weather conditions, the drive can be pretty painful at times.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

Thank you all for your responses. I'm definitely not renting a car, just not comfortable driving in the snow. I'm thinking about paying the extra for the private car just to save some time, waiting around with a 3 year old is no fun at all. It's kind of crazy, though, the 2 hour car ride will be more expensive than the 3 hour flight!

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

Occasionally it is actually less expensive to fly to Eagle-Vail than to Denver. Have you looked at this?

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

Yeah, unfortunately, there are no direct flights into Eagle from Houston. I could fly from Denver to Eagle, but it would actually take more time to get there (waiting for flight). :(

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

Actually, I was thinking Houston -> DFW -> EGE. AA flies DFW to EGE non-stop in the winter. Leaves DFW around noon.

10. Re: Traveling from Denver to Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 05, 2014