We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alli’s Vail trip report

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
alli’s Vail trip report

My Husband and I had a quick 2-night getaway March 28th & 29th to Vail. With Easter being so early this year Vail was packed! We stayed at the Vail Apex Holiday Inn in West Vail. I choose the Holiday Inn for 3 reasons.

1, The location, I like West Vail it is right by the Safeway, Sports Authority and a couple restaurants. Making it very convenient for those taking a shuttle in from DIA. You really don’t need a car if you stay here. We did not use ours at all. There are three restaurants on site, a Sushi place, the Westside Café, our go to place for breakfast in Vail to matter where we stay and a Bar and Grill.

2. Dog Friendly. We brought ours and it worked out great. There were a number of other dogs on the floor and a couple of times you could hear them as you walked down the hall but we never heard anything once we were in the room.

3. Value, Free Shuttle, Free Parking and when we were there no Resort Fee making this a very good value. The shuttle was super convenient we took it both mornings and returned on it once. We found out that the Red line town bus also goes to the hotel with very limited stops between so you really have 2 options.

Other things I enjoyed. Just down the road behind the hotel is a nice little park with a playground should you have any little ones that want to play. Also just down the frontage road about ½ mile is a trail that my pups enjoyed each morning. A nice Spa area with outdoor pool an in door hot-tub and steam room. Everything was spotless!

Everyone knows Vail is a great Mountain so I won’t add to that I will mentioned some, for us, new experiences.

Mountain Standard Restaurant owned by the folks from Sweet Basils, Wonderful!!!

The 10th Mountain Restaurant on the mountain at Mid Vail. A sit down, reservations recommended white tablecloth restaurant. It is rather large to me and loud. We grabbed an outside table that felt more intimate. We had a lovely time. Good food and a surprisingly good value for on mountain dining at Vail. The Vail Ale house. Close to our hotel in the space that formally held Sandbar. I am sad to see the Sandbar gone but the Ale House was fun though more costly than I thought it should be.

Side note we never ran into any rude folks on the shuttles, mountain, shops or restaurants. This even though town was full with many international visitors. We had a blast!

Edited: 11:28 am, April 01, 2013
Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

Great report. Yes, the trick is to take the Green line going to Vail resort (stop is located behind Safeway, it says Holiday Inn on it), and the Red line coming back (stop is located in front of Safeway). Of coarse this could change, but for now that's what works the best.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

Sounds like a fun getaway alli! :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

It was! So much so that we are heading back for closing weekend!!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

Nice ! Sounds like a great weekend. Should be a lot less crowded at the end. Don't ya love it!!

We're loving it here in the Boat. Getting the mountain back for the locals the last 2 weeks. Free Leftover Salmon show on the last day. Can't beat springtime in the Rockies!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

I know, I can't say what I enjoy more the skiing or the music! Fun times all over! I swear we are getting to Steamboat next winter, though for sure this summer!

I am even OK with having a few more snows after the lifts stop. I got few days on the skinny skis this year and the pups look at them ever so hopeful.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

It's probably the overall experience you enjoyed. When I write up my trip reports, I end them by comparing different cities (resort areas) I visited. Each one has good and bad, but it's the overall that I concentrate on. If one is really good, I end up going back. It's not only the resort, but the entire process of getting there, restaurants along the way, and so on.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

robvia, I probably should have mentioned that we do several day trips to Vail each year and typically a couple of winter weekends and one summer weekend. So for me it is the new experiences I mentioned, the quality of accommodations, value for the lodging tariff, ease of things and the welcome we receive be it the hotel, shops, restaurants or just strolling around.

So yes it was the overall experience, and yes it was very fun. I know that closing weekend will be different, more locals, more costumes and all that comes with the end of season frivolity.

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

Thanks for your reports Ali, it's esoe sulky useful to hear honest reviews of value for money Lodging options.

Love to revisit vail... Maybe 2014 ....

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

You are welcome StockportBreaker. Come to Vail!!!

10. Re: alli’s Vail trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 26, 2014