We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a getaway to ski and enjoy nice dinners in Vail in January. We are only going to be there a short time and definitely want to ski most of each day there. However, we want to stay at a nice hotel with a nice rooms/spa, restaurant(s), and within short walking distance to other nice dining options. Which hotel would you choose and why?

Thanks so much!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,500 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

Sebastian is newer and nicer but not as convenient. But you really can't go wrong with either one. Lodge at Vail is dead center in the midst of everything and about two minutes to the lift. Sebastian is a bit more of a walk to lifts and to restaurants/shops but only be minutes. We also like Sonnenalp for more of a boutique feel.

Have fun.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

Both are great properties. As Tumbleweed said the Sebastian is newer, but the lodge has a slightly better location, the Sebastian does have a "base camp" area slope side to keep your gear so there is no need to lug it around the Village. I like the food at the Sebastian better, Leonora was one of the best meals I've had in a long time and their bar, Frost is nice place to hang out, the Lodge has Elway's for steak. I think the spas are comparable and also agree that Sonnenalp has a very nice boutique feel.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

Lodge at Vail has a much better location. At Sebastian you just may end up getting a room overlooking I-70. Lodge at Vail is about as close to the main lift as you can get & right at the MAIN intersection of Vail Village. It is older but the equals charm in my opinion. You can easily walk to ALL the most popular Vail digs: Sweet basil is across the street as is Pepi's, Lancelot, etc.

Houston
Level Contributor
72 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

Lodge at Vail is a great location! And it is in the Village, but on the edge closest to the Vail Gondola!

Houston
Level Contributor
72 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

Lodge at Vail! If you really want to be "in the Village" and walk through the pedestrian only Village passed a couple stores like Burton to get to the slopes, then the Lodge at Vail is for you. You are close the best pizza a local hang out, Vendettas. I vote for the Lodge at Vail! The only downside is that it is a hotel, not a condo, unless you can afford over $1000-2000 per night for their "residences". Also, I use this lodging map on snowpak to get an idea of where the hotels are, snowpak.com/snowpak/…vail.html . Hope this helps!

6. Re: Lodge at Vail or Sebastian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 18, 2014