We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct 20th week

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston,TX
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oct 20th week

Hi my husband has a week off during this time and we found awesome tickets to Denver..we also love easy hiking and will have our 2 year old with us. Will Vail have enough to do during this off season or should we choose a different destination. Also we will have 4 nights to work with...itinerary help plz..

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct 20th week

I love the off season, though it seems to get shorter to non-existent these days. Lots of great dining and lodging deals attract "locals" that cannot normally afford such swanky digs. I include myself in that category. The Cascade is offering a killer deal right now. I like the Cascade because it is a bit removed and along the bike path and river, Great spa if the weather is bad. Nice Hot-tubs with fire pits.

groupon.com/deals/ga-vail-cascade-resort-spa…

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct 20th week

To entertain the 2 year old, look at the Colorado Springs area. You might want to split your time between there (for the child) and Vail (for you).

http://www.pikes-peak.com/Page/46.aspx

Some ideas for the 2 year old near Vail - you could visit Glenwood Springs and the adventure park. www.glenwoodcaverns.com

The Georgetown Loop Railroad is running on Saturdays and Sundays.

www.georgetownlooprr.com

Colorado loves fall and there are usually fall/Halloween festivals everywhere with corn mazes and family friendly activities. I am sure there will be one near Vail.

Edited: 12:03 pm, October 12, 2012
Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct 20th week

It is our shoulder season (between summer & ski) so things are quiet but lovely. Many restaurants have fantastic deals for all especially us locals who can't leave when the tourists have! Rent a bike, many great trails. Many hiking trails, many parks for the little one and it is quiet, scenic and peaceful, unlike Colorado Springs> a city YIKES (sorry previous poster!)

In Avon 5 miles west at the base of Beaver Creek Resort there is a great indoor water park perfect for your little one. I also recommend Glenwood Springs for their hot spring pools.

Keep in mind that is IS October. Pack warm layers. We can have days near 60 and sunny to snow showers and it is always cold at night here now> we've even begun to make snow on the slopes. Please come> you'll love our Valley in off-season!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oct 20th week

No need to be sorry to me, vailrealtor. I understand that Colorado Springs is a city and it is not my favorite place to visit in Colorado. I am obviously not the DE for Estes Park and RMNP because I love cities. But, I am also objective enough to realize that the Colorado Springs area has many family friendly attractions that appeal to people traveling with small children. Denver, of course, is also a city and yet, it has wonderful kid friendly things to do. I should mention that neither the Springs or Denver is in the mountains (a comon misconception). Do note, I also suggested they still go to Vail.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oct 20th week

I actually do know how to spell common, at least most of the time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oct 20th week

Also considering a trip during the week of Oct 20th with my husband. We enjoy nature and wanted to know if this would be a good time to visit. Is it too late for fall foliage? If so, what kinds of low key activities are there around that time? We're looking to relax and enjoy our surroundings without doing the winter sports, etc.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oct 20th week

Fall foliage here in the high Rockies is 90% gone. We are getting dustings of snow in the higher elevations which is always pretty. It is very low-key here now, yet, if it's a sunny day (most days) there's plenty of hiking or walking trails. Its a perfect time to come, relax, rejuvnate at any of our fab spas which run great specials. Or just bring a good book & grab a seat next to the fire.

In the evening, a multitude of dining experiences await as most restaurants are open and offer fantastic specials. We have a wonderful movie theatre, great library, etc. Even the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens are interetsing this time of year as everything has finished blooming and is at rest. The walks are still peaceful & scenic.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oct 20th week

akaSugarland has a followup question and proposed itinerary at this link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945-i436-k58327…

9. Re: Oct 20th week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, December 15, 2013