We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow season & beginers slopes

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snow season & beginers slopes

hi everyone

Is the snow generally still OK in mid - late Feb. My wife is a begginer on skis and if it is slushy at lower altitude that won't be much good. Alternatively is there some easy to moderate green runs near the top.

Cheers

Pan

denver
Level Contributor
343 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

Generally yes, you should be OK. All depends on how much we get to during the season, but that is one of my favorite times of the year to hit the slopes!

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

Check out the historic snow reports for Vail.

The time you are looking at is probably the best time to go. Vail is a high resort and very snow sure. Don't worry.

www.igluski.com/usa/vail-snow-history_1516

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,197 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

Barring extremely unusual weather conditions, you won't have to worry about soft/slushy until late March/April - you're visiting at an optimum time.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

re: beginner slopes . . . best area IMO is up top from Golden Peak area. You'd start at Riva Bahn lift (6) to Northwoods (11) then to the left to Sourdough lift area (14). Lunch can be had at Two Elks. To get back down at end of day take (6) lift to bottom.

Excluding the cat walks (there a lot), which I believe are factored into the overall beginner %, there are not many beginner runs at Vail. Front side map can be found here:

vail.com/mountain/…mountain-trail-map.aspx

And, I always recommend a couple days of lessons for beginners at Vail. You'll both have more fun.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

We normally get our best snow in Feb & March, You'll hit it perfectly! I highly recommend SKI SCHOOL. She'll learn much quicker & it just may save your marriage> ha ha ha! You might want to check out Beaver Creek too as they have a large beginner area up top where you can ride the chairlift down afterwards saving the hassle of having to ski all the way back down the mountain on the usually crowded roads.

check www.snow.com which has links to both mountains, trail maps, ski school info and events.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

Thanks so much guys,

I had looked at getting up to Wildwood and then Lost Boy or Eagles Nest Ridge down and back around to Game creek Lift but I see your route texranger is all slow zone - better choice. I am just wondering if we should go to Beaver Creek for one week and then Vail for the next. Have to do some talking to put that one across but it may save the marriage as it is not biting off too much first up!!! Ha ha ha. I like the idea of Vail with so many blue runs and occasional black. Two weeks on the slopes, yeesssss!!

My wife was coming along just fine 2 yrs ago but hit a post in very poor visibility that knocked her around a bit so has had her confidence dented somewhat! She will be fine to start again on easy green runs, a bit of width is always good!

What would you recomend for accomodation at Beaver Creek?

Yes, I always hire a private instructer myself first day out and same for my wife and also 2 or 3 times over the duration. It is money well spent. It either gets you back up to speed or takes you to the next level - all good.

Really appreciate your time guys as there is nothing like having an opnion of someone commercially impartial 'on the ground'. Love TA for that.

Congrats on your medal haul USA!!! :-) even a sprinter with a broken leg!!!!

7. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, September 10, 2012
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,477 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

I like BC for beginners. The learning area is at the top so you get the views and can meet up for lunch. Then try Vail after a couple of days at BC.

Edwards, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

I agree with Alli about Beaver Creek for beginners. The easier terrain is at the top of the mountain so you wil have fantastic views, nice snow and less traffic funneling through these runs.

Edited: 1:48 pm, September 11, 2012
10. Re: Snow season & beginers slopes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, December 17, 2013