We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado Fires and Drought

Galveston Island...
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado Fires and Drought

My son and I are traveling to Leadville and surrounding areas 7/21. After going through our terrible drought last season in Texas, I am hesitant to see the affects in the Rockies (so depressing). There were so many dead and dying trees, dry river beds, etc. Is this the case in the Leadville (and surrounding) areas?

Thanks!

Jeanne

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,034 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

Since you posted in the Vail Forum, here is a link to the live Vail webcams. You can see for yourself. Evergreens and aspens here in Colorado are more drought tolerant than the pines and oaks of Texas. Also our weather pattern is changing bringing the return of afternoon showers and cooler temperatures. Even in Denver, they are predicting a high on Sunday of 79 degrees (63 for Leadville). The smattering of dead trees you may notice in the area are from pine beetles not drought.

Unlike in Texas, the afternoon showers move through quickly, often in 30 minutes or less. There is no steam rising off the pavement and no stickiness afterwards, perhaps a beautiful rainbow.

http://.web.vail.net/web-cams

Edited: 4:57 pm, July 05, 2012
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,034 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

Corrected link

http://web.vail.net/web-cams

Galveston Island...
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

Thank you. I am a crazy nature lover and the Texas drought was tough on me mentally. I watch the weather daily; yes, it's looking much better! Was raised in Littleton...

Jeanne - Galveston

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
107 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

Colorado still looking gorgeous to me! Monsoon season is starting early here in Colorado, I don't imagine that you will find Colorado depressing even in the recent conditions.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

On our way to work this morning, my husband and I commented how over the last week everything is starting to green up - you can tell we have had some rain.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

Colorado is greening up! Get here and enjoy yourself!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

i have houseguests and get to play tourist ... as a result, i was just in leadville and independance pass/aspen a couple days ago .. looked beautiful as ever. even had the pleasure to watch a heard of bighorn sheep in the middle of afternoon.

depending on which way you are coming .. driving up 24 from colorado springs airport, you will see a few scars from the waldo canyon fire but it really is not bad from the road.

Galveston Island...
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

Dear Tourist Guide - LOL.

I am heading up from Denver (arriving Sat.) and really want a unique visit. We are not into the regular stuff - want to be with the locals and will hike and bike with the best'of'em. I will be traveling with my 13 year old for a week - where should we start? Totally want a great time without busting the budget. Bikes, walks, fishing, tubes, mud, bug spray...we are in! Any suggestions. Not too into schedules...

Jeanne (and Logan),

Galveston Area.

9. Re: Colorado Fires and Drought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 16, 2013