We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vail or Whistler in July?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vail or Whistler in July?

We want to leave Texas and go somewhere cooler in July. I have a one year old and trying to figure out if we should do Vail or Whistler. Any suggestions?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,255 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vail or Whistler in July?

Both are fantastic destinations. The differences in temperatures will not be great. Vail is at significantly higher elevation than Whistler so expect it to be a bit cooler. Whistler is also closer to the sea so it will be a bit more humid. But I would look at the overall amenities and what you wish to do.

You might also add in Park City, UT to your mix for a bit of an easier access from airport for your getaway.

July is a nice cool month to be in a ski resort.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vail or Whistler in July?

Thanks for the advice!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vail or Whistler in July?

Hi Katherine. I'm from Dallas also! We have been to both the last few years and we are going back to the Vail area late July. We have a 7 year old daughter and found more things for her to do in the Vail area. Vail has a lot of things to do in the village and a great farmers market on Sundays. It is huge with a large variety of art, food, fresh produce, etc. There are some great playgrounds for the little ones. You also have nearby the town of Beaver Creek. We normally stay in Avon which is at the base of Beaver Creek and much cheaper. Lots of other small towns like Breckenridge, Georgetown, and Aspen that you can drive to.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vail or Whistler in July?

If you have a one year old, I would think that a feature in Vail that would be attractive is the fact that it is an entirely Pedestrian only Village. No cars & traffic to dodge with that stroller!!!

check this link to see all there is to do in the Vail area:

www.theparentshandbook.com

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vail or Whistler in July?

Plenty of options for ski villages, but as the others have mentioned and for the reasons given I'll also echo Vail as the choice. It's also much closer to Texas... Park City is worth a look and closer to the airport though your flight to Denver will likely cost less and be more convenient than to Salt Lake.

Edited: 12:18 am, June 22, 2012
6. Re: Vail or Whistler in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Vail