We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Bowl question

Okemos
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Back Bowl question

Are the back bowls at Vail suitable only for expert skiers, or can they be enjoyed by an advanced intermediate cruiser?

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Bowl question

You don't have to be an expert, but I would certainly not go as a beginner. Advanced/intermediate, as you mentioned, would be fine. Don't go out of bounds, though, as lost skiers are usually in the back bowls.

Okemos
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Bowl question

Thanks, Amy. I'm looking forward to the Back Bowl experience.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
543 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Bowl question

It is beautiful and the snow plentiful. It's snowing again today! Powder galore!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back Bowl question

I think the bowls are a bit over-rated, probably to keep the real novices out. For a very mellow introduction try Poppyfields in China Bowl -- a very easy run, usually groomed completely flat. Sun Up and Sun Down don't have any blues that I remember, are rarely groomed, and the snow is sometimes crusty there, particularly in Sun Down. Siberia and Mongolia probably have easier ways down than Sun Up/Sun Down, with moderate powder runs through the trees. Blue Sky has a lot of blacks that are narrow and in the trees, with a few blues. Game Creek (maybe not a true "back bowl") has lots of blues.