We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?

Albany, Ga.
3 posts
1 review
17 helpful votes
Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?
Save

My wife and I will be going to Vail the first week in February for 5 days with some other fun couples. Most of them will be Skiing. Due to knee and back problems, we cannot ski. We had planned on tubing some, and maybe a sleigh ride and dinner out at a ranch one afternoon/evening. Please help us find some other interesting things to do there!! Any recommendations will be appreciated

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?
Save

Consider a snowmobile trip or rent snowshoes and hike around in Beaver Creek (Strawberry Park). Enjoy a day at one of the various spas around town. There are plenty of non-skiing activities - check VisitVailValley.com or Vail.com for additional ideas.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?
Save

For a long while, I wasn't a skier....then took snowboarding lessons and love it. There are MANY things to do if you don't ski.

Vail offers "foot passes" that allow you to go up the Gondola or the Vista Bahn ski lifts without skis. The gondola is not exposed to the air and there is much to do at the top of the Gondola. Both are beautiful rides up the mountain and both have wonderful restaurants and beverages. I used to bring my book and enjoy the sunshine and atmosphere. My hubby would meet for lunch. There are photographers at the top of the lifts that will also take your picture. The picture taking is free.....and if you like the photo, you may purchase it for a $$$ fee.

There is a really cool library in Vail. It is across the street from the skating rink. They have a few PCs with free internet...but those were usually hard to get. The skating rink sometimes has exhibitions, but mostly it is hockey teams practicing (and those are not usually open to the public).

Many of the spas offer a day pass for their exercise equipment. I don't know if that is of interest...but I used to enjoy a good work out, then sitting in the steam room.

The hotels (in particular the Sonnen Alp) have wonderful lobbies. Some serve afternoon tea. Again, I used to bring a book and hang out....talking to strangers or ordering tea.

The Sonnen Alp also has a terrific spa (with outdoor heated pool) and full spa services. I enjoyed that experience.

There is a movie theater (with four screens, I recall) that SOMETIMES offers matinees. There is also one out at the hotel (can't remember the name of it)....which is a short shuttle ride away.

Lastly, Vail has a TON of little shops to poke into. The people are friendly and laid back.

Enjoy!

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
76 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?
Save

60 miles to the east is Glenwood Springs, which has a couple big hot springs pools and some vapor caves that I've enjoyed over the years.

http://www.glenwoodguide.com/attractions.htm

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
76 reviews
96 helpful votes
4. Re: Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?
Save

I meant Glenwood Springs is 60 miles west of Vail, - sorry

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
439 posts
37 reviews
57 helpful votes
5. Re: Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?
Save

How about snowmobiling? Check out Vail's Adventure Ridge. I know they used to offer snowmobiling and I think they still might, although I didn't see a link on the Vail website last time I looked. There are also outfitters in the area that offer it.

If you have basic skiing experience, you could check out ski biking.

For a more mellow outing, you could go dogsledding. The outfitters will pick you up and drop you off, and you get a chance to mush the team, too. Just don't sit in the last sled.

If your knees can handle it, snowshoeing is a great way to take in some peace and quiet.

If you are into spas, I highly recommend the one at the Ritz in Bachelor Gulch. It's fantastic, and their grotto in amazing. There's also ice skating in Beaver Creek.

If you get tired of walking around Vail, you could explore Avon or Edwards. If you're a shopper, there are some outlets in Silverthorne, which is about 1/2 hour away.

6. Re: Non-skiing couple to visit in Feb.--What to do?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.