We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vail vs aspen

mexico
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
vail vs aspen

hello

Im planning my holidays but I dont know where to decide

if vail or aspen

can someone tell me the difference

thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vail vs aspen

I like Aspen better, has some old mining town charm some how. Vail was designed just as a ski area.

I have not skied either place, but I like Aspen better in the summer.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vail vs aspen

You'll find fans of both. For us to help you decide we need to know what is important to you. The differences between the two are far too numerous to list. If you search both forums you'll find a great deal of information.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vail vs aspen

refer to answers to your May 14, 2007 post "explain me Aspen" for info.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vail vs aspen

IMHO, Aspen is an authentic town, retaining some of it's roots as a mining village. I would travel to Aspen over Vail no contest. From a straight skiing standpoint, Vail may be preferable, but from an overall great time in a Colorado mountain town, I would choose Aspen, hands down.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: vail vs aspen

We used to live in Denver and had a condo in Vail. We absolutely love the skiing in Vail and don't think it gets much better in the United States. Since we've moved to California though, we travel to Aspen for the two week Christmas break every year. We then spend a week or two in Vail later in the season. The holidays are much better in Aspen. It is a real town. If you decide not to ski every day, there is so much more to do in Aspen. It's also a "real" town and offers Christmas plays at the Wheeler Opera House, Seal usuall plays a concert between Christmas and New Year at the Belly Up. There's dog sledding and cross country ski dinners. What's special about Aspen at Christmas though is that it's still a real place with people going to church on Christmas Eve. Vail is wonderful but it's man-made. We'll be in Aspen for the holidays and Vail in February.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vail vs aspen

Jennifer was right - depends on what you are looking for since there are so many factors and while both resorts are great they are quite different. The good news - you can't go wrong with Vail/Beaver Creek or Aspen/Snowmass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vail vs aspen

Hi!! I am asking the same question: where in Colorado to go?

In the Northern hemisphere, we always go to Whistler Blackcomb, but this year I got voted down and my husband wants to go to Colorado. We went to Sierra Nevada (Spain) and Andorra last year, and weren't really wowed. We love W/B.

In the Southern hemisphere, we have been to Portillo, La Hoya, Chapelco, and Cerro Catedral. We live the southern winters in Bariloche, so we spend most of our time at Catedral, and love it.

When we go on vacation, we pretty much just snowboard and eat. Not looking for great nightlife. Would like a small, boutique-type hotel, if it has a spa, that is a plus. As close as possible to the mountain, if ski in/ski out, that is perfect.

So what do the experts recommend??

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vail vs aspen

Oh, and we are looking for a hotel as opposed to a condo because cooking is not a possibility while on vacation!

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vail vs aspen

I would check out the websites of both resorts to see what they offer. I do not know Aspens site (someone from Aspen please post it) but a good site to check for the Vail area is www.snow.com]

The debate will go on forever as to which area is "better" and it all comes down to personal preferrence, kind of like asking people if they like dogs or cats better!!!! Both wonderful, it's all what you prefer!!

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vail vs aspen

…brightcove.com/services/…bctid296748412

Copy this link & play the Vail video!!