We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting Outfitter?

Indianapolis
2 posts
Save Topic
Rafting Outfitter?

I will be traveling to Vail June 22 for some fly fishing and would also like to do a rafting trip. Does anyone have suggestions for a group men in their 40s. We would like to experience a thrill, but not die as our families would be very upset. I would love to hear about your experience with rivers and outfitters in Vail, CO.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting Outfitter?

Not sure which river stretch you're looking to raft but I would highly recommend the Arkansas (out of Buena Vista) as a good thrilling, but not super risky way to try rafting. One of our family friendly favorites that provides thrills without getting too technical is browns canyon. The outfitter I highly recommend is Arkansas Valley Adventures (www.coloradorafting.net). I plan a yearly rafting trip for our company and their safety practices, good guides, and overall service keeps us coming back every year. I highly recommend that you only consider rafting companies that mandate both helmets and life jackets. There are a fair number who only require the latter, and it's stupid, IMO.

Enjoy your trip!

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting Outfitter?

Local rafting outfitters for the Vail area include Nova Guides, Timberline Tours & Lakota River Guides. All three are very good and you will have a nice time.

Brown's Canyon is a good choice - but it's a full day with drive time included. Glenwood Canyon (Colorado River) is closer and is very scenic. They have a vareity of trips on the Colorado, mostly level 3 or level 2 rapids. You can do this trip in a half day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting Outfitter?

I agree with mr vailskier. I have rafted a lot in several places. Glenwood Springs is close. There are plenty of rafting companies, but they do fill up. Consider a reservation. Rafting is about as much fun as you can have. I took my wife last year and she does not do things like this much. She had fun.

Indianapolis
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting Outfitter?

A friend of mine recommended The Numbers on the Arkansas as a great trip. Is it common to fall out of the raft on this trip? We are in ok shape, but we don't run marathons. Would this trip be safe?

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting Outfitter?

All the trips are very safe - there is always a chance of falling out, but it is rare and even if you do the outfitters have plenty of safety measures in place.

6. Re: Rafting Outfitter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 31, 2009