We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the gondola work?

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How does the gondola work?

Hello all! We are planning our January 2007 trip...It would be so helpful if someone could explain the workings of the gondola. We've been on the one at Keystone but, that was about 10 years ago. Questions:

How long is the ride up/back?

How does loading/unloading work?

Could a savvy 10 and 12 year old navigate it by themselves and get to ski school? The kids loved to take the bus to ski school by themselves ( <2 min. ride) at Copper Mountain last year...but it dropped them literally at the door so...not sure if this would be ok this year.

Knowing these things could help us to decide if we should stay in town or Mountain Village. Thanks so much!

Arkansas Farm Family

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
641 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does the gondola work?

It seemed to me when I've skied at Telluride that the gondola dropped us off very close to the meeting place for the ski school. Plus, there are people helping people on and off the gondola cars who would surely be able to point the kids in the right direction.

I'm thinking the ride up took about 10 minutes, but that was from the village parking area. I haven't taken the one from the town to the top -- it must take a bit longer.

Again, for loading and unloading, the attendants help people load and unload their skis into an outside rack, and help make sure they step on (or off) OK.

I'm curious: where will you be when your kids are heading off to ski school or coming back home again? If you have concerns about how they'll handle the experience, couldn't you just ride up with them and arrange to meet them after their lessons and ride back down? The gondola is free, after all, and pretty convenient to get to.

Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How does the gondola work?

Wing Lady...thanks for the post! On the question as to where I will be when the kids are going to or coming from ski school...I will be with them! but, after the first couple of days last year the older kids all rode to ski school "by themselves" and it was a big thrill...and for various reasons both kids may need to come back to the condo and I want to make sure this would be doable...not planning on just sending them out the door on their own...just want to be prepared and know what to expect...we've decided that for our first trip we should stay in the mountain village-I think it will be easier for all. Thanks, again.

Everywhere
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does the gondola work?

Danner

The gondola is the main source of transportation in T-Ride. The short gondola (which is what you would take if staying at the Mountain Lodge) is about 5 minute ride at the most and drops you right where the ski school is located (in the center of mountain village). You can get off there or if you would like to continue to town the next one is feet away. That ride is about 15 minutes at the most. It's free and runs from about 7am to 12am everyday. Savy 10 and 12 year olds would be fine on their own. The kids around here do it all the time. The thing about staying in the town of Telluride is that you have to walk to the slopes from almost anywhere and the skiing down to town is not so easy for quick breaks nor for kids as it's steeper and has less sun time making it really icy in the afternoon. The Village is ideal for this because it's up on the mountain and most places are ski in/out (literally). The village is quant and is very family friendly.

Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How does the gondola work?

98Runner...thanks so much...your post was very helpful...I did not realize that there are 2 gondolas...so... if staying at Mountain Lodge and you are going down to town...you would take short gondola down and then transfer to town gondola?

Level Contributor
260 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does the gondola work?

Yup, short gondola ride to the transfer area and then the longer

main gondola to town. They hand out blankets for the longer

ride. What you don't realize is that the longer ride "down" to town

is actually up over the mountain and down the other side.

Just great views!

TMV
Telluride Mountain...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: How does the gondola work?

Telluride to Mountain Village is 12 minutes by gondola.

The gondola is easy walk on/off when loading. There is an attendant and skis/bikes go on outside racks.

10 - 12 year kids can manage on their own. Part of the Telluride - Mountain Village charm is it is pedestrian and kid friendly.

7. Re: How does the gondola work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 23, 2009