We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

My girlfriend and I will be staying in Telluride Dec 26th - Dec 29th. I have been to Telluride once before but it's been a little while. Besides skiing, what other attractions are good for couples in December? Any nice romantic restaurant recommendations?

Also, are most businesses open the day after Christmas?

Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,297 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Most businesses should be open. There are some great restaurants in Telluride ~ La Marmot, Sheridan Chop House, 221 South Oak, Cosmopolitan to name a few. Make reservations weeks in advance, that is a super busy time in Telluride, the earlier the better. Not inexpensive, but SO worth it is a glider ride over Telluride with Glider Bob. 970-728-0862

A sleigh ride? www.ridewithroudy.com

If you are really bold, there is a hot springs near Ridgway (45 min away) that has a "natural" setting (ie ~ looks like boulders, bottom has gravel, rather than looking like a swimming pool) and is clothing optional. Some people will be in suits, some not. A very unique experience to sit totally outdoors in a "natural" hot spring with the snow around. Not for everyone tho.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Great suggestions! We will be staying at The New Sheridan hotel. That's where we stayed last time and the restaurant there was really nice and good. I assume it's the Sheridan Chop House?

Does the free gondola ride still run all the way until midnight? I really enjoyed cruising it late at night.

A hot springs sounds PERFECT. A few months ago I visited my first natural hot spring in Steamboat and it was the highlight of my trip. I did not know there was one near Telluride.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,297 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Yes, gondola operates 7am to midnight. If you are not up for the hot spring (Orvis Hot Springs), in Ouray there are also hot springs that are like a swimming pool. I believe they are open in winter.

www.orvishotsprings.com

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Yes, the hot springs pool in Ouray is open all winter, and the setting is just beautiful.

How about a couples massage?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

I checked out the Orvis Hot Springs and it looks awesome. Although we will keep Ouray Hot Springs in mind as well. We may even drive out to Ouray if we have the time. It's nice to have both options. She said she would be too shy to go nude for Orvis but said I could go nude if I wanted to. :)

A couples massage sounds PERFECT. Can you recommend a good spa in Telluride?

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
6 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Best Spa in Telluride is at Hotel Madeline. They have couples rooms with a fireplace, steam and sauna. Chop House is a great restaurant. On one evening with a clear sky go to Allred's for a nightcap (top of gondola). The most romantic restaurant is Alpino Vino. You take the gondola to the top get off and then a snow cat takes you to the restaurant. It is a small cabin at just under 12,000 feet. Seats less than 20 and the food is world class Italian and an award winning wine list. Book your resv now...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Excellent suggestions! Thanks to all for your input!

telluride, co
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

Most romantic thing at the Orvis Hot springs- the private indoor hot tubs

9. Re: Things to do for a couples romantic stay in Telluride?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014