We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride or Durango with teenagers in summer?

phoenix, az
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Telluride or Durango with teenagers in summer?

We are taking a short road trip through Utah in August, ending up at either Durango or Telluride for about 4 nights. Our boys are 16 & 19. We're not experienced adventurers, but would like to be someplace where there are interesting outdoor activities. And good food. We're escaping the Phoenix heat! What can we expect from each town, and which might be better for us?

Bear Creek Falls
Waterfalls, Hiking Trails
Bridal Veil hike
Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Ophir Pass Trail
Motorcycle Trails, Off-Road & ATV Trails
phoenix, az
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Telluride or Durango with teenagers in summer?

This is why I go to TripAdvisor! I assumed that Durango would be cool, since there's winter skiing nearby. It sounds more like Sedona weather - really nice at night, but hotter than I like during the day, when I'm trying to get away from heat. Thanks, everyone!

Auburn, New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Telluride or Durango with teenagers in summer?

Depending on time, a combo trip would be great. The drive through Ouray and Silverton are fantastic. But if you can do only one, I'd make it Telluride, and stay in the old historic town. As a previous poster said, you can just let your kids go and have fun. Everything is within an easy walk great restaurants, hikes, biking, fishing. Once you get there you can just park the car and enjoy this charming, funky, lively town that is surrounded by the most beautiful wilderness in Colorado. Ice House and Camel's Garden are both great lodging options that allow you to take advantage of all that Telluride has to offer.

13. Re: Telluride or Durango with teenagers in summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, June 20, 2013