We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas to Telluride

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Texas to Telluride

Curious if it's safe and worth it to drive vs fly. A big group is flying but 3 of us have discussed driving everyone's baggage and ourselves to cut costs but the drive doesn't look to be very safe. Is it?

Thanks

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
401 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas to Telluride

YOU

ARE

GOING

TO

DIE!!!!!!!!!

Of course it's safe! Probably safer than driving around Dallas!!!

I can't believe that folks are scared to drive in Colorado. And this keeps coming up over and over on this forum. ?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas to Telluride

When are you planning on coming? In summer? No problem. In winter? I would avoid Hwy 550 between Silverton and Ouray, other than that should not be a problem. Roads are plowed, etc.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas to Telluride

Oh, come now, Ttown! Play nice. People are hesitant about driving in unfamiliar territory on unfamiliar roads in unfamiliar weather conditions. But I agree, most of the time it probably is safer to drive in Colorado than to brave the Dallas traffic! ;)

Hi, travisodee, and welcome to the Colorado forums. Are you coming to ski? In general, Colorado's highways are safe to drive, and well plowed and maintained during the winter. Not all the roads are snowy all the time, either. Colorado's used to snow, and so is better equpped to deal with it than places where it doesn't snow often. However, you are right to be cautious, because you probably aren't used to winter mountain driving, and you can run into adverse weather conditions anywhere along your route. Heck, just before Christmas I saw a news story about some folks running into a snowdrift along the Texas New Mexico border--totally flat, straight roads! And just yesterday there were high winds in NE Colorado which blew a semi over. Those conditions are pretty rare but they do happen, so do prepare for winter conditions, keep your gas tank topped off often, and carry food, water, and winter clothing/gloves inside the car. Good tires are a must. And some people advise carrying cable chains.

It helps to have a day or two flexibility in your schedule so that if you run into bad weather or a storm is predicted you can either travel a day early or "hole up" and wait it out instead of trying to drive in blowing snow or severe weather. In that case you might incur an extra day of lodging and food costs, which of course makes the trip more expensive.

It is also better to travel during daylight hours, as temperatures drop when the sun goes down and roads can get very icy. So, that might make for an extra overnight compared to a summer trip when you might drive 10 or 12 hours in a day.

Your best route would probably be to Albuquerque>Farmington>Cortez> Dolores> Telluride, with only one major pass, Lizard Head Pass, which is generally a beautiful drive with good roads.

Edited: 11:29 pm, December 30, 2011
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas to Telluride

Funny, thanks for the replys. Headed that way in Feb. have drivien in winters mtns close to 10 times, just never Telluride. Was nervous due to the amount of posts discussing Telluride's difficulty in getting to.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
401 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas to Telluride

We do have roads. They are even paved. And plowed.

Sorry if my dry sense of humor makes me sound like a jerk but I feel safer driving ANYWHERE in the mountains than I do in typical rat-race-city-chaos!

Happy New Year!!!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Texas to Telluride

I'm with you on that Ttown!

Telluride really isn't that hard to get to in terms of road conditions, but it is more remote from Denver, so it is more expensive to fly. And the drive from Denver is a long one. So in that respect it is more difficult from Denver than say, Vail or the Summit County resorts. But driving from Texas, it's just about as easy to get to Durango, Telluride, or Crested Butte (plus Wolf Creek and Monarch) as it is to route through Denver. I would avoid Hwy 550 between Durango and Ouray if at all possible, though, which is easy to do unless of course you want to go to Silverton for the extreme skiing there.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Texas to Telluride

Very easy drive from TX to Telluride via New Mexico, unless of course there is a snowstorm, which can shut down the interstates! (Dallas to Amarillo to Albuquerque to Farmington to Telluride.)

8. Re: Texas to Telluride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, January 24, 2013