We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Telluride from Denver...

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Telluride from Denver...

Hi Guys,

I will be flying from Denver to Telluride this December and I have a few questions:

1. How long is the flight?

2. I've heard that a good amount of flights into TEX are forced to land at alternate airports. Where do they usually land?

3. I know that Montrose is another airport option, which airport is more convenient?

4. The only airline that flies from Denver to Telluride is Great Lakes. Is that a reliable airline?

Thanks much.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flying into Telluride from Denver...

Visited Telluride last Febuary and attempted to land in Telluride but after about 5 attempts the pilot gave up and flew us to Montrose. Quite frankly, attempting to land in Telluride was one of the scarriest experiences of my life. The turbulence was insane and most of the other passengers were just as terrified as me. From what I understand, the airport landing in Telluride is not the safest in the world. You almost have to nosedive in over the mountain. I was just thrilled to finally be out of that plane and on the ground by the time we landed in Montrose. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic a bit, just not used to that kind of turbulence but to me it was a terrorfying experience.

On a good note, the shuttle ride from Montrose to Telluride was very nice, lots of beautiful scenery and the passengers enjoyed everyones company. But if I ever return to Telluride I'm definitely opting for flying to Montrose instead.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,857 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flying into Telluride from Denver...

Just spent four days in Telluride - first time. I had always heard about the airport problems there. So I thought I would check the FAA stats. Last winter, 77.6% of flights were on-time into Telluride with 6% canceled and 7% diverted. The on-time stat is better than Aspen or even Montrose. While the cancel/divert stats are a bit high, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

…bts.gov/ot_delay/OT_DelayCause1.asp…

13. Re: Flying into Telluride from Denver...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 01, 2013