We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

ihr
Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

We have found availability for Xmas week! We are wondering about Mountain House East - is it a free standing house? Is that harder to navigate with equipment and kids on the smaller size? Any comments on Cornet Creek? Mountain House seems more homey and more nicely appointed; CC has perfect bed configuration (4 kid-cousins who like to sleep in the same room!)

Cornet Creek: www.vacationtelluride.com/index.cfm…

Mountain House East http://www.telluridelodging.com/rentals/mountain-house-east?filter8=%2A%2AALL%2A%2A&filter1=mountain+house+east&filter4=&sort=beds_asc&op=Search

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

Mountain House is not a free standing house, it is a condo and you enter at the 2nd floor, so up a flight of stairs to enter. I personally thing CC is a better location. It is very close to the gondola, which will be the best way to get the smaller kids over the area where they will ski (Mountain Village side).

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

Disregard the previous info - I looked up the address and I think it was the wrong one. Let me check some more and I will answer.

Sorry. :-)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

OK, I think I have my act together now! ;-)

CC is located on the corner of Pacific and Davis, which is about 4 blocks from the gondola (closed cabin lift). It is a bit closer to lift 7, which is a standard chair lift. You could all fit in the gondola, on lift 7 you will have to split up.

Mountain House is located on S. Tomboy Street, closer to lift 7, a hike to the gondola, but it is located on the free shuttle route, so you could catch that and ride to the gondola or even to Mountain Village, if you want. It is located right by the corner of S. Tomboy and Colorado Ave (Main St.)

Here is a link to a map of Telluride and you can look up these locations, that may help you decide.

telluride.com/telluride/maps-travel/town-map

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

Both these choices are near the base of lift 7. As per my previous post on your other thread, I think this area of town is going to be your most affordable option for 7 people during the holiday week. The CC condo is maybe a tiny bit closer to the lift than the MHE unit. But the MHE one is closer to Clark's market and Colorado (the main street). You really can't go wrong with either location and they are really very close to each other. I think I could throw a baseball from one to the other, almost.

Lift 7 is an older, two-person lift that takes one up the front of the mountain. From there, one could ski down the other side of the mountain in to Mountain Village and the area where ski lessons meet. There is a ticket office at the base of 7, but not a season pass office nor ski school. . . . OR, you can walk or take the shuttle to the gondola which holds 8 people and takes you up and over to Mountain Village where you would meet for ski lessons.

To get back to the condo you can ski down the front of the mountain -- but most of that terrain is advanced, except for the Telluride Trail run which works but can sometimes be a little icy. You can actually download chair 7 (which means you ride it down the mtn. and it's a little scary to see the view under your feet headed that direction) or you can take the gondola and walk/shuttle back to the condo. I have done it all 3 ways and they each have advantages/disadvantages.

It certainly isn't as easy to get home as a MUCH more expensive ski in/out location would be. Don't count on going to the condo for lunch, for example. Your time would be better spent enjoying a $$$ lunch on the mountain. But factor that cost in when deciding to rent in that area. I still think you come out ahead of the $2,000/night locations!

If carrying skis and walking in ski boots is going to be a challenge for anyone in your group, consider renting from a location in Mountain Village that will store your gear for you each night. If you do that you would get to MV on the gondola (you need to be in skis to ride lift 7) but it would be hassle free with no gear. Or you can pay to leave just your skis at the valet station at the base of the gondola in Mountain Village. I did this a couple times when my kids needed help with their gear -- it was easier to leave my skis there for the the night and carry both of theirs back to the condo.

I haven't been inside either of the units both just looking at the photos the CC unit looks nicer and more recently redone. Do you need parking? It doesn't mention parking and you can't assume that it has it. Also I didn't see prices. I would go with the cheaper option if there was much of a difference.

ihr
Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

Thanks to endoshine and Shell King - a big help to us! Happy trails...

6. Re: Mountain House East or Cornet Creek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 23, 2012