We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Telluride

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
Denver to Telluride

I am planning for driving to Telluride for this long weekend in July... wondering which route is safer as this the first time I am planning to drive in Rockies. Three options are given from google map. 1st. I70 and US 50 2nd. US 285 and US50 3rd. US50

Any suggestion will be helpful. Thanks.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Denver to Telluride

Hi

My husband & I are hiring a 4WD vehicle in Denver & intending to drive to Frisco along the I70.We will be spending 7 days here.

We are in our early 60's & are not American drivers experienced in snow conditions. However we do drive to the mountains in New Zealand on the opposite side of the road!

We intend to visit Steamboat,Winter Park, Aspen,Crested Butte &Telluride spending 2-4 days at each resort.

We would like to finish the trip by driving to Park City in Utah & North Star & Heavenly at Lake Tahoe.We will then .be driving back to San Francisco.

Can anyone help us with the best directions & order we should be looking at to travel with the least worry about dangerous road conditions.

We will be travelling from the 8 march to the 31st March.

Phew!! That's quite an ask!

Hoping for some advice.Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Denver to Telluride

Hi, palmykiwis. It might be best if you repost your question as a new post so that people will recognize it as a new question & not just an add-on comment to the original. Also, it's about winter travel rather than the OP's question about a summer route.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Denver to Telluride

Palmy, your route would be to Winter Park, then Steamboat, then Aspen, then to Crested Butte, then Telluride, then you could go to Moab for a stop at Arches National Park, then Park City, then Lake Tahoe.

I would suggest you consider skipping Crested Butte. Even though it looks very close to Aspen on the map, in the winter time it's quite a roundabout route to get there. (Even in the summer, the short route is a dirt road so not recommended for rental cars) If McClure Pass is good, you could go that way to Delta and Montrose (Black Canyon of the Gunnison Natl Park) and then to Gunnison and Crested Butte, then backtrack to Montrose and then to Telluride. You might have to go back to Glenwood Springs and either around by Buena Vista/Salida over Monarch Pass to Gunnison/Crested Butte or to Grand Junction and south to Montrose/Gunnison. You could easily add another resort along the way as a substitute...maybe the slight detour to Breckenridge. Or Copper Mountain or Vail/Beaver Creek.

Be sure to allot plenty of driving time in case of bad weather. March tends to be one of the heavier snow months.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Arches National Park
Arches National Park
7,061 Reviews
Moab, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Black Canyon
Black Canyon
765 Reviews
Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park, CO
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Salida
Salida
Colorado
Monarch Pass
Monarch Pass
64 Reviews
Monarch, CO
Copper Mountain
Copper Mountain
785 Reviews
Copper Mountain, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado
14. Re: Denver to Telluride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 02, 2012