We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
348 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

My group of four adult couples are planning a hiking trip for 2012. We are considering Telluride in September (we know about the festivals and will book so we are not there then). Is there a property which features cabins? I have not been able to find one. If there are no cabins available we would prefer a hotel with adult focus, reasonably quiet, and with lovely scenic views. I have gone over the listings here, but have not been able to tell which ones would meet our criteria. Can you suggest one?

Does anyone have any experience with booking a hotel in Telluride on Priceline?

Thank you.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,700 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

I've not stayed in Telluride using Priceline but have used it with good success several other places. Looks like they have Hotel Madeline, Peaks, Mountain Lodge, and Franz Klammer as 4 stars. If you do bid, don't select "all areas" because for some reason they include Ouray. "Telluride" will get you either hotels in town or in Mountain Village. Both places are scenic, with easy access between the two, either by road or the free gondola. Also, I've found that the resort fees and parking fees can somewhat negate the good prices I'v gotten, so check out those fees and charges ahead of time and keep them in mind when bidding.

Would you all like to stay together? You might look at VRBO, Vacation Rental by Owner. You might read through some of endosunshine's posts on the Telluride forum...seems like there were some recent VRBO suggestions.

The only place I've stayed is Mountain Lodge and it was lovely. We had a two bedroom suite and it had a large kitchen, plus a nice dining area, living area with fireplace, and two and a half baths. We slept 8 there, but that was family (1 rm had 2 beds) plus kids on the hide-a-bed. For couples, you might consider a suite or a condo plus a lodge room or two. Mountain Lodge has "cabins" but the Telluride definition of cabin and what I usually think of as a cabin are two very different things, lol! Mountain Lodge cabins are 3-6 bedroom lodge-decor luxury homes so would be suitable for your party.

mountainlodgetelluride.com/telluride-ski-res…

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

In the Telluride/Mountain Village area there are not really any cabins available. (speaking of the smaller, more rustic type)

Telluride has an abundance of hotel rooms, condos and even homes for rent. You could consider looking on VRBO.com to rent a home. Will you have transportation? There are some large, excellent homes to rent, but most are just outside town and not really walkable.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

Thank you both for such helpful responses.

We generally like separate accomodations so that we have some private couple time. I was afraid there were no cabins in the area based on my preliminary checking, so we will probably opt for a hotel. The priceline choices all look very good in the four star range.

The plan is to fly into Montrose. Since none of us have ever visited the area, I think we will want to explore a bit so we will rent cars.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

Take a look at Ouray as an alternate location

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

What would be the advantage of Ouray?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

It is less expensive, has lots of hiking, jeep tours, etc that Telluride does. However, it is less upscale and has fewer restaurants, especially of the "finer dining" type. Just a different feel than Telluride. I personally prefer Telluride's restaurants, etc, but others prefer Ouray's "old time" atmosphere. They are about an hour apart by car.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

Thank you for the clarification.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

Telluride has a ski resort and is larger than Ouray. Being larger than Ouray isn't saying much since Ouray is 8 blocks long and 8 blocks wide. But, it has 13 hotels, 13 B&Bs, and 19 restaurants. It is true that the dining scene in Ouray isn't as fine as Telluride but there are local restaurants in Ouray that have very good food and it is unique, one of a kind, from family owned businesses.

Ouray is a National Historic District so there are great walking tours if you are into architecture and Ouray has natural hot springs too. As the crow flies, Ouray and Telluride are only 7 miles apart. However, as the paved road drives, it is closer to 50 miles and one hour. FYI

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

Thank you for the information.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,700 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on hotel choice for a September hiking trip

Either place would be a great choice! When I mentioned not selecting Ouray as an option, I was talking about if you are bidding on Priceline and wanting to stay in Telluride or Mountain Village. Priceline probably includes Ouray because it is so close as the crow flies, as kavery mentions, but really two different locations.

I do feel like Mountain Lodge would be a good option for you if you stay in Telluride. You could get one junior suite so you'd have a nice gathering spot and a kitchen, plus 3 lodge rooms.

That said, I personally prefer the "feel" of Ouray, with hiking/jeeping during the day and visiting the hot springs in the evening being the absolute favorite getaway for most of my family members. You could easily visit Telluride as a day trip...it is a gorgeous drive. You can also take a full day jeep tour from Ouray that will get you to Telluride over the route that crow takes.

Flying in to Montrose is the best option for visiting the area IMO. Grand Junction wouldn't be a bad option, either, if flights happen to be a lot more reasonable. Be sure to allow a few hours to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park just east of Montrose. (Depending on your hiking ability, there are a couple of "extreme" hikes there, plus a moderate one and several easy walks to overlooks.) If you have the time, a visit to Mesa Verde National Park is one of Colorado's musts. Visitors often ask about local specialties: In September you should be able to sample some Olathe Sweet sweet corn and Palisade or North Fork Valley peaches, and you might want to stop south of Montrose at Ray's Jerky for some really good locally made jerky for your hiking provisions. Most liquor stores will have wine from Palisade or the North Fork Valley if that's something you enjoy.