We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

Ore Station or Camels Garden or Franz Klammer or We want as close to ski in/ski out as possible,probably need a kitchen and want to leave financially solvent. My 11 year old daughter will go to ski school but is at least an intermediate skier. She will want to ski with us as soon as possible. My17 yearold son is more extreme but will ski with his parents (husband double black, me

Based on the DEs' opinions, I am inclined to choose Telluride rather than MV. However the best deal (includes 2 lift ticket) is at Franz Klammer Camels Inn has barely any deal at all. Hotel Columbia seems to only have 2 rooms left...Should I choose Ore Station. vrbo has nothing, Central Reservations was not helpful...Any other nice condos I should know about? Where is the supermarket? Thank you all in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Columbia
Hotel Columbia
288 Reviews
Telluride, CO
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

The Camels Garden is literally steps away from the free Gondola that travels between town and MV. The easier slopes (all the greens and many of the blues) are on the MV side of the mountain. The Franz Klammer is offering a good deal and will be closer to the intermediate slopes. You can ride the gondola at any time to travel between town and MV - ie to go to dinner, shop, etc in town if you choose MV. It is not as close to the gondola as Camel's Garden, but still quite reasonable. Hotel Columbia is also quite close to the gondola. I don't really know much about Ore Station,but it seems nice enough, still not very far from gondola. Will more of a hike to get to the grocery store tho. Will you have a car? Or you could just ride the gondola to the one in MV.

There is a small grocery store on the edge of town in Telluride (Clark's) and there is a newer and larger grocery store in MV, it has a gondola route that goes directly to it. Be forewarned that groceries in the area are expensive. Every single thing has to be trucked up the mountains to get there.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Columbia
Hotel Columbia
288 Reviews
Telluride, CO
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

I am trying to balance competing desires and prices..Is the town of Telluride My husband is concerned about the timing to ski school. How long does it take to get from Ore Station to ski school? Klammer is closer (right there?)? Can we then reach the blues/blacks/bowls fairly easily? The reason I want a kitchen is mainly so that everyone can grab a snack.. Camels Inn is probably out unfortunately because there are no meaningful $ discounts..

I planned on taking the shuttle from Montrose not renting a car. We wanted Telluride rather than MV because, as NYers of "a certain age", we live and prefer to stay in charming areas. I seem to be asking about staying in Telluride vs staying in MV.

Mentioned in this post
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

I prefer Telluride. However MV may actually be more convenient for you.

To get to ski school from town you would take gondola (about 1-2 blocks from Ore Station) and ride to the second stop, which lets you out in the area by Klammer. The ride is probably about 5 min. Allow time to walk to gondola. The gondola station in town is right next to Lift 8 which will get you into higher elevations. So conceivably, some could head to the easier side on gondola (and still get other lifts on that side to more elevation) and some could stay on the town side by using lift 8.

I love town, I find MV to be too cookie cutter and "planned" looking. If you are really itching to be in town then pick Ore Station. Either way, I think you would have a great time. Do you need additional links for Telluride and/or MV?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

We just returned from Telluride and stayed at the Inn At Lost Creek in Mt Village...had a wonderful time. I think Franz Klammer has the absolute best location in mt village and looks beautiful. If I go back (I'd love to) I'd love to stay at the Franz....if we can afford it!

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,510 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

Inn at Lost Creek has kitchens as well, but may be cost prohibitive.

I love it, but it's not cheap. I'm staying at Hotel Telluride next week, got a good deal on hotwire. No kitchen, but there's a microwave, fridge, and toaster oven.

Mentioned in this post
The Hotel Telluride
The Hotel Telluride
694 Reviews
Telluride, CO
6. Re: Telluride during last week of season 2011..Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 05, 2012