We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

michigan
Level Contributor
234 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

We are flying in to Albuquerque driving to Durango, taking taking train and going to Mesa Verde (3 nights), then off to Taos and Santa Fe....

Should we try to add a couple of nights in Telluride or Ouray? Which town would be best to stay in? Nice place, I have read reviews, but most based on ski areas, for summer which would be best..under $200 a night? I have read about Bridal Viel Falls and the drive...Is this the Million Dollar Highway? THANKS

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

The Million Dollar Hwy is between Silverton and Ouray. (Hwy 550, paved road) It is absolutely gorgeous!!

Telluride is in a box canyon and at the end of the canyon is the road to Bridal Veil Falls. (a dirt road)

Personally, I like Telluride more than Ouray, I'm sure others would disagree. I think Telluride has more to do and see in the town than does Ouray, both have beautiful mountain surroundings, altho very different from one another. Telluride has more upscale lodging and restaurants than does Ouray. Neither has any "chain" businesses. (McDonalds, Holiday Inn, Walmart, etc.) The lack of these type of businesses are what allow these towns to retain their individuality and charm.

Both town have great hikes surrounding them, jeep tours to take, etc.

You could spend one night in each town if you like. They are each quite small. If you read some of the other posts on the Telluride forum, you will see a number of links that I have posted that will give you more info.

Since you are already going to this area, it would be a shame to miss these towns. If you can only see 1, I would choose Telluride, but do both if you can.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

Forgot to mention - the drive between Ridgway and Telluride is also drop dead gorgeous.

New York
Level Contributor
157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

Just passed through both last week. I would go for Ouray, though depends on what you're looking for. Telluride is more upscale and has an almost manufactured look to it. I'm from NYC and running into parking meters in a small town in the Rockies was a turn-off for me; though I'm sure they have their reasons. It's definitely worth a trip to the falls though at the end of the canyon after passing through Telluride.

We were only in Ouray a few hours, but it would definitely get a night or two the next trip, seemed very casual and 'real'.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

Unfortunately, they do need money to help maintain the roads and plow in the winter. A fact of life these days.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,563 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

The entire loop from Durango to Cortez to Dolores to Rico to Telluride to Placerville to Ridgway to Ouray to Silverton to Durango is the San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway. Opinions differ on the portion that is known as the Million Dollar Highway. Here's what Wikipedia has to say, and I think it is accurate: The 25 mile stretch from Silverton to Ouray is commonly known as the Million Dollar Highway, but "... it is really the twelve miles (19 km) south of Ouray through the Uncompahgre Gorge to the summit of Red Mountain Pass which gains the highway its name."

If you can add a couple of nights to your trip and stay in either Telluride or Ouray, or one or two nights each, I will guarantee you that you won't regret doing so, even if you have to "rob" a night from somewhere else. Both have jaw-dropping gorgeous mountain settings and both have maintained much of their historic old-west mining town/Victorian era character. Telluride is more upscale, resort casual; Ouray has hot springs and a more low-key hometown atmosphere.

One thing you might consider without too much disruption to your plans is instead of staying the third night at Mesa Verde, finish up your sightseeing there that morning and drive to Telluride. Telluride is generally more expensive but I checked midweek prices on Expedia and found several hotels in your price range. Mountain Lodge was one, showing between 139 and 189. There's a free gondola between Telluride (town) and Mountain Village (ski resort area). The next day, drive on around the San Juan Skyway to Ridgway over Dallas Divide (more jaw-dropping scenery) then to Ouray. Spend the night if you were able to add a night to your trip. The following day you could travel the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and on to Durango. Yes, the Silverton-Durango route roughly parallels the railroad, but what you see from the train is much different for the most part.

sangres.com/colorado/…index.htm

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2101/

http://www.ouraycolorado.com/

http://www.visittelluride.com/

Let us know if you want more information on things to do.

6. Re: Durango/Telluride Ouray/ Taos./ Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:57 am, December 19, 2010