We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities in Telluride besides skiing.

United States
1 post
Save Topic
Activities in Telluride besides skiing.

We are visiting Telluride during Christmas and want to spend a day of our vacation NOT skiing. Can someone suggest something fun to do?

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities in Telluride besides skiing.

Take a snowmobile tour, horseback ride, sleigh ride, ice skate, shop, hot air ballon, lots of things I can think of not sure all are available in Telluride but have seen them at other CO resorts.

One time (but this was in Steamboat) we found a horseback ride in the winter...it was great...the guy who picked us up was a former Olympic skiier and his son was home from College at the time and our tour was riding horseback through 2 feet of snow to check their fence...work for them but great fun for us.

telluride, co
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities in Telluride besides skiing.

Telluride isn't just a ski resort. There is a never ending array of cultural, intellectual and physical activites. During christmas vacation there will be a series of concerts at the Sheridan Opera House sheridanoperahouse.com/pageinpage/events.cfm

New Year's eve at the conference center in Mountain Village there's The Sam Bush Band.

Telluride Outside offers an array of outside activites.

Dogsled rides and the full spiel on telluride are at: http://www.visittelluride.com

Nuf said?

jerry greene, local resident and bakery owner

NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities in Telluride besides skiing.

There's a lot of history in that canyon, as you'll soon realize. On my day off from skiing, I had a great time taking an audio tour of the town. You can rent the headsets at the Historical Society. There are several to choose from and they only take a couple of hours.

There are several trailheads if you want to go snowshowing for a few hours. Ask the locals for the best ones. Many retailers rent snowshoes.

At night, I'd highly recommend seeing a movie in the old town. The theater's a real throwback!

Enjoy!